[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

RE: Transformative Programming: Flow-based, functional,and mor

• To: Simon St.Laurent <simonstl@simonstl.com>, "xml-dev@l..."<xml-dev@l...>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 17:39:35 +0000

RE:  Transformative Programming: Flow-based
-- Simon Says ..
>> Now _that_ is hyperbole.  It's a miracle that we ever communicated 
>> before schemas!

I honestly believe you live in a different, almost non-intersecting, universe then I.

Of course *people* have *communicated* for eons.

But for people to communicate sufficiently such that computers can then in turn communicate and exchange data
to the extent that it means the same thing to the receiving computer as it meant to the sending one is quite novel IMHO.
Moreso the more complex the idea.

XML and Schemas, IMHO, have facilitated this ability vastly.
Before then, Standards which were far less flexable, far fewer, less expressive or far more error prone were used.

I can rarely get a *person* to explain to me precisely what they mean.
Now if what we want to communicate is vague concepts and emotions we dont need computers or schemas at all.
Art does fine.  I enjoy art.  I make art.  With and without computers.   I use artistic concepts as part of my software expressions.   

I dont want art on my bill from the telephone company.

I am sorry but I am simply not convinced it's such a bad thing to write down precisely what we mean when want computers to talk to each other and make sense out of it in precisely the same way we intended.

Maybe if you explained your idea in a schema it would make sense to me :)

-David

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index]

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.