[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: The limits of XML mean the limits of my data world

• To: Roger L Costello <costello@mitre.org>
  • Date: Mon, 30 May 2022 23:01:22 +0100

Re:  The limits of XML mean the limits of my data world

Truthfully, the concept of allowing start-tag/end-tag pairs that are not properly nested doesn't seem like, in the universe of data concepts, a hugely important concept. I guess that I am not seeing its importance.

One of the key reasons that the ODA community fought against SGML was that they considered it essential to maintain both the logical structure of a text (the chapters, sections, and paragraphs) as well as the paginated structure; those are two different hierarchies over the same data. Perhaps they failed because they were being too ambitious -- simple things that handle most of the requirement always tend to win in our world -- but just because we can't do it doesn't mean that no-one wants it.

Early in my career I was involved with data rather than documents, and we fought hard for the idea that data is a network, not a hierarchy. People like to see it as a hierarchy because our brains want to work through things sequentially (hierarchies can be flattened more easily than networks). But Wittgenstein was right; the way we think about things is conditioned by our language.

Bill Kent's book "data and reality" is one of the best books on data modelling ever written, because he understands this. He knows that when we construct models, with assertions like "every employee is based in one location" we are ignoring the messiness of the real world, and more than that, we are trying to eliminate the messiness of the real world: we are forcing the real world to conform to our model of it. Text consists of a sequence of characters from a finite alphabet because that's the only way we know how to model it, and by modelling it that way, we force real texts to conform. Similarly, MusicXML contrains the music that composers are able to write.

Michael Kay
Saxonica

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index]

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.