[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: RE: The limits of XML mean the limits of my data world

• To: "xml-dev@lists.xml.org" <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Date: Mon, 30 May 2022 19:24:37 +0000

Re:  RE: The limits of XML mean the limits of my data world

Hi Peter,

If I understand correctly, you are saying that in the following XML document:

<l>A’ was a merry man—took up the child:</l>

<l>“Yea,” quoth he, “dost thou fall upon thy face?</l>

<l>Thou wilt fall backward when thou hast more wit;</l>

<l>Wilt thou not, Jule?” and, by my holidame,</l>

<l>The pretty wretch left crying and said “Ay.”</l>

one might want to insert additional markup around the quoted sentences. Something like this:

<l>A’ was a merry man—took up the child:</l>

<l><quote>“Yea,”</quote> quoth he, <quote>“dost thou fall upon thy face?</l>

<l>Thou wilt fall backward when thou hast more wit;</l>

<l>Wilt thou not, Jule?”</quote> and, by my holidame,</l>

<l>The pretty wretch left crying and said <quote>“Ay.”</quote></l>

Is that the idea?

I can see how that is a problem for XML. XML does not allow start-tag/end-tag pairs that are not properly nested.

So the overlapping problem is this: Sometimes it's desirable to allow start-tag/end-tag pairs that are not properly nested.

Is that right?

Truthfully, the concept of allowing start-tag/end-tag pairs that are not properly nested doesn't seem like, in the universe of data concepts, a hugely important concept. I guess that I am not seeing its importance.

Are there data concepts that are not expressible by XML and are hugely important concepts?

By the way, here is the URL to Jeni's blog article: http://www.jenitennison.com/2008/12/06/overlap-containment-and-dominance.html

/Roger

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index]

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.