[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: Re: ID/IDREF is evil

• To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 00:11:53 -0600 (CST)

Re: Re:  ID/IDREF is evil
On 02/16/14, Peter Flynn wrote:
On 02/04/2014 01:39 AM, Arjun Ray wrote:
> > Declaring ID attributes in an internal subset was quite obviously a 
> > non-starter. We should have bit the bullet then and invented some
> > new syntax. (I actually thought of several back then, but held my
> > peace.)

> Sadly, I think we all thought of several, even before the emergence of
> the W3C Schema. One of which would have been an extended DTD format.

I was more interested in new instance syntax, actually.  Recall that there was an emphasis on processing without a DTD - which now can be restated as processing without "schema information", whatever its form, DTD, RNG or WXS.  I think we didn't quite grasp the necessity of new syntax to reduce dependence on meta-information outside the instance.

My most radical idea was to extend the notion of VI (Value Indicator) from just '=' to a set of characters, according to the major categories of declared values.  Thus instead of name="value" for all attributes, we could have had name@"value" for IDREF/S, name&"value" for ENTITY/IES, name%"value" for notations and name*"value" for NMTOKENS, leaving name="value" for CDATA only.  And an ID attribute wouldn't need a name or surrounding quotes at all, if we tacked it onto the GI with a separator, like '!'.     

XML-DEV is a publicly archived, unmoderated list hosted by OASIS
to support XML implementation and development. To minimize
spam in the archives, you must subscribe before posting.

[Un]Subscribe/change address: http://www.oasis-open.org/mlmanage/
Or unsubscribe: xml-dev-unsubscribe@lists.xml.org
subscribe: xml-dev-subscribe@lists.xml.org
List archive: http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/
List Guidelines: http://www.oasis-open.org/maillists/guidelines.php>>

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index]

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.