[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: XML Schema as a data modeling tool

• To: Peter Hunsberger <peter.hunsberger@gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2013 06:40:12 +0100 (BST)

Re:  XML Schema as a data modeling tool
Wonderful, Peter, I think we are advancing towards a common understanding of the alternative modeling goals and means.

I still wrestle with your posting, trying to understand more clearly what to *do* with an Enterprise-ready model. You wrote:

"A model is Enterprise ready if it applies to all instances of a given set of data domains at all the points in time they are used within a set of applications."

But what does it mean that a model APPLIES TO A DATA DOMAIN? How to decide whether it applies? Given the preoccupation with a particular data domain and a set of applications, say, relational databases and web services - what shall I do with the Enterprise-ready model, how shall I profit from it?

Let me define in an adhoc way some features which a model may have or not and which characterize its intended usage. Perhaps you can (a) add further features as necessary, and (b) make ticks to indicate which of these features an Enterprise-ready model has?

Feature - meaning
==================
Feature "operational" - supports the export of operational data (e.g. a query system, an OO persistence store)
Feature "conceptual" - supports the export of non-operational, conceptual information (whiteboarding ...)
Feature "generative" - supports the generation of other models (e.g. an operational model; generation may be automatic, semi- or non-automatic)
Feature "transmittable" - supports the construction of messages to be exchanged by program agents
Feature "?"
Feature "?"
Feature "?"

(And how about NIEM, how about MLHIM?)

Your iPhones example makes me wonder if the Enterprise-ready model is meant to be operational, too?

The forest-shaped reference model which I advocate is in the first place generative (!), meant to support the design of database and message models; but could it conceivable allow the generation of an Enterprise-ready model, too?

Kind regards,
Hans-Juergen

PS: Can you also say a word about the basic building blocks of which the graph model you are talking about is composed, is it "nodes", "edges" and "something else", and how is a "node" constrained to look, how an edge, how a something else?

Von: Peter Hunsberger <peter.hunsberger@gmail.com>
An: Hans-Juergen Rennau <hrennau@y...>
CC: Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com>; "xml-dev@l..." <xml-dev@l...>
Gesendet: 16:39 Mittwoch, 2.Oktober 2013
Betreff: Re: XML Schema as a data modeling tool

I've sort of implied a difference between "Enterprise" models and what I'll call instance models.  I'd say a model is Enterprise ready if it applies to all instances of a given set of data domains at all the points in time they are used within a set of applications (Enterprise would be better but is not always achievable).  I'll qualify this by saying that even across applications such a thing rarely exists, the drive towards having a Master Data Model (MDM) can help, but doesn't necessarily result in such a beast.

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index]

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.