[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: Transformative Programming: Flow-based, functional,and mor

• To: "xml-dev@lists.xml.org" <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 14:38:53 -0400

Re:  Transformative Programming: Flow-based
On 10/16/13 2:11 PM, Rushforth, Peter wrote:
  > And with that the ability to debug in the small, to have edges that
are very strict but middle pieces that are very flexable ... but still
defined interfaces.

I've said this before here, so I don't want to go too deep with this
now, but REST standardizes the interface.  If XML defined common access
to the interface (aka hypermedia affordances)

(across *all* of XML, not just XML with namespaces), the "small pieces,
loosely joined" could be XML.
I reflected a little bit on REST in the piece:

"I’ve also pondered what role REST may play in these conversations. The PUT and DELETE methods are, of course, all about side-effects, and not so much about flow. I don’t yet have a good answer here."

My general sense is that XML+REST is wonderful stuff, but more likely an entry (or exit) point than the communications method used throughout this kind of flow. I would be happy if REST - especially with a hypermedia approach - would be sufficient, but it doesn't quite feel like a neat fit with a pipeline-centric model.

I'm sure it could be made to work, but I'm not sure it should be made to work.

I also have mixed feelings about hypermedia affordances *in* XML. Mostly I'm wary because too many hypermedia conversations seem to reach a point where everyone thinks they agree about what things mean and what things do, and then realize that the agreement isn't that robust.

Roughly, I like the idea, but don't trust myself for liking it.

(I should note that hypermedia conversations were another piece contributing to my sense that this model is coming together for real this time, just not in as direct a way.)

Thanks,
--
Simon St.Laurent
http://simonstl.com/

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index]

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.