[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

RE: XQuery -- Reinventing the Wheel?

• To: uche.ogbuji@f..., mrys@m...
  • Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 12:01:19 -0500

RE: XQuery -- Reinventing the Wheel?
Title: RE: XQuery -- Reinventing the Wheel?

Uche Ogbuji wrote:

> Are we all forgetting how long it took the first
> relational databases to achieve decent performance? 
> I still remember the tremendous fanfare generated
> by (pre-Microsoft) FoxPro's "Rushmore" technology, the sort of
> thing which is considered quotidian these days.
>
> I still need to hear these pressing arguments that
> XSLT is *fundamentally* incapable for large-scale query.
> The state of first-generation implemenations is no argument. 
> There will also be a first generation of XQuery engines.

I think that it is clear that (1) some languages are either to optimize than others, and (2) adding optimization to a language after it is completed is harder than building it in from the beginning.

I agree that the first generation of XQuery engines will not be well-optimized for all operations, but that's no excuse for failing to think about optimizability while designing the language.

Incidentally, let me be clear that I mean "optimizable" for queries over large repositories. XSLT is definitely optimizable for the purposes for which it was designed. XQuery was designed for different purposes.

> Don't get me wrong either.  I'm not categorically saying XQuery is
> otiose. I'm just looking for the compelling impetus not to build it
> within the XSLT framework.

Be my guest. Nobody is stopping anybody from developing a query language that is an extension of XSLT syntax. This is not the approach that XQuery is taking, but I doubt you are claiming that using XSLT syntax is the only reasonable way to design a query language for XML.

Jonathan

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.