[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: Basic program structures in XSLT (was: Re: Data-d

• To: Jean Kaplansky <jean.kaplansky@kaplan.com>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2022 15:27:53 -0800

Re:  Basic program structures in XSLT (was: Re: Data-d
Sometimes the structure of the wanted result(s) is so different from the structure of the input(s), that a chain of successive  (multi-pass)  transformations that use intermediary trees/data-formats  may be needed.

Thanks,
Dimitre

On Fri, Dec 9, 2022 at 1:43 PM Jean Kaplansky <jean.kaplansky@kaplan.com> wrote:
On Fri, Dec 9, 2022 at 3:46 PM G. Ken Holman <gkholman@c...> wrote:
At 2022-12-08 10:52 -0700, C. M. Sperberg-McQueen wrote:
>are there analogous basic
>principles for program design which can be used to guide construction of
>a transformation in XSLT?

The focus/orientation of program design from the programmer's
perspective is the document order of the output, which is totally
independent of the document order of the input.

JLK: This is the most succinct description I've seen in this conversation, although others have mentioned it in addition to other concepts. XSLT enables rearranging content for context-specific purposes without rearranging the source.

(though being the same helps)

(many students would ask me about "going back" and "fixing" or
"adding to" content that already has been processed)

That and the already mentioned distinction of push and pull comprise
most of the introduction lecture in my XSLT class.

JLK - I've seen this described elsewhere as the difference between imperative and declarative. A long time ago, in an Arbortext far away, we talked about "Declarative vs. Procedural." Ian Williams boiled that down to a sentence: "an XSLT programmer does not define a sequence of actions, but specifies a number of rules that. the result should satisfy."

(I think a lot about this stuff these days. I have direct reports in India who are still learning. I need to find the easiest way to state stuff that often gets stated in any number of ways [see note about Arbortext above] over time.)

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index]

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.