[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

RE: How to represent step-by-step procedures in=?UTF-8?Q?XML=3

• To: "Michael Kay" <mike@saxonica.com>, "Roger L Costello" <costello@m...>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2022 09:47:46 -0700

RE:  How to represent step-by-step procedures in=?UTF-8?Q?XML=3
LEGO MindStorm is what I would point to for this.

The visual side - can be done using MindMap style XML representation.

Then the logic inside each "box" can be coded by low-code methods in the boxes.

When you click "run" then the actual code is generated (could be XSLT for sure).

This was the approach we used for the VisualScript product 1,000 years ago - and it worked great for BPSS, BPEL, BPMN, HTML, _javascript_ and on. Sadly we were 10 years ahead of the market with this at the time. Fortunately LEGO did MindStorm - and done very well with that.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: How to represent step-by-step procedures in XML?
Date: Sun, August 21, 2022 7:23 am
To: Roger L Costello <costello@mitre.org>
Cc: "xml-dev@lists.xml.org" <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>

I am seeking a high-level XML representation, one that is understandable by a manager and at the same time is sufficiently detailed that it can be executed

That's the holy grail of computer science - ever since COBOL, people have been trying to find a language that was simple enough for managers to understand but precise enough to express all the detail. No-one has succeeded. I don't think it's a language problem; I think it's an abstraction problem. "Managers" want to reason about the process at a level of abstraction that doesn't involve the sordid detail (handling of exception cases, in particular) that's needed to make the process executable.

I remember well a conversation with the marketing manager of a cable TV company, talking about the process for on-boarding new customers. We kept asking "what if" questions, and the manager got quite frustrated: he was only interested in the success case where everything went smoothly, and wanted someone else to worry about what to do when things went wrong. His staff in the call centre were also quite frustrated: 90% of the calls they took were dealing with things that went wrong, and that weren't covered by the process manual.

An executable process needs to deal not just with the things that often go wrong, it needs to deal with all the things that can ever go wrong, and that's a level of detail that most managers simply aren't interested in.

Michael Kay
Saxonica

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index]

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.