[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: [Philosophical] What is an XML document?

• To: Roger L Costello <costello@mitre.org>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2022 21:49:13 +0100

Re:  [Philosophical] What is an XML document?
If it's a string of Unicode characters that conforms to the XML grammar, then it's an XML document.

There are people who say that two and two make four if you work it out. There are other people who say that two and two make four whether you work it out or not. It's your choice.

Michael Kay
Saxonica

> On 4 Jun 2022, at 19:00, Roger L Costello <costello@mitre.org> wrote:
> 
> Hi Folks,
> 
> There is a file on my laptop that consists exclusively of these characters:
> 
> <Greeting>Hello, world!</Greeting>
> 
> Question: Is the file an XML document?
> 
> Answer: No, it is simply a text file.
> 
> Evidence to support my answer: I opened Notepad, dragged and dropped the file into Notepad, and subsequently Notepad displayed the file's content as a linear sequence of characters, i.e., text.
> 
> Philosophical Discussion: 
> 
> An XML document is "in the eye of the beholder." That is, to Notepad my file is just text, but to Apache Xerces my file has a structure consistent with the XML specification and therefore -- to Xerces -- it is an XML document.
> 
> In order for a file to be considered an XML document, two things must align:
> 
> 1. The application assessing the file must have internalized the grammar rules specified in the XML specification.
> 
> 2. The application must process the file to determine that the file has a structure consistent with the grammar rules.
> 
> Only if 1 and 2 are satisfied may the application pronounce "Yes, this is an XML document."
> 
> Let's dig a bit deeper...
> 
> Clearly the following is a linear sequence of characters:
> 
> <Greeting>Hello, world!</Greeting>
> 
> It only becomes an XML document when an XML-aware application has processed it (assessed it) and determined compliance with the XML grammar. The most common method of determining if an input string conforms to a grammar is to lexically analyze the string into tokens and then see if the tokens matches a specified grammar; along the way an in-memory "parse tree" is created. If we successfully create a complete parse tree, then we have an XML document. If we have an XML document, then we have successfully created a complete parse tree. An XML document is a parse tree.
> 
> No one would deny that a parse tree is a "data structure." Therefore an XML document is a data structure.
> 
> Do you agree with my line of reasoning? Where does my logic go astray?
> 
> /Roger
> 
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________________________________
> 
> XML-DEV is a publicly archived, unmoderated list hosted by OASIS
> to support XML implementation and development. To minimize
> spam in the archives, you must subscribe before posting.
> 
> [Un]Subscribe/change address: http://www.oasis-open.org/mlmanage/
> Or unsubscribe: xml-dev-unsubscribe@lists.xml.org
> subscribe: xml-dev-subscribe@lists.xml.org
> List archive: http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/
> List Guidelines: http://www.oasis-open.org/maillists/guidelines.php
> 

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index]

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.