[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: The Goals of XML at 25, and the one thing that XML now nee

• To: Rick Jelliffe <rjelliffe@allette.com.au>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2021 14:15:30 -0400

Re:  The Goals of XML at 25
Just want to comment on the terseness angle.

In other domains the need for a data preparation step to tame obnoxiously formatted data before it is used is generally accepted and not controversial. When it concerns XML however no such step is contemplated and instead we get specious interminable whining about  bloat and verbosity. 
Here is an past example of 324k JSON data naively converted to 1.16MB of XML which reduced to 350K of XML after some 'data prep'.

I believe it's generally the case that with such a step the size of "equivalent" JSON and XML is within about 10% of each other.

On Sun, Jul 18, 2021 at 4:37 AM Rick Jelliffe <rjelliffe@allette.com.au> wrote:
While in lock-down, I took the time to write down a little post for Schematron.com called "The Goals of XML at 25: and the one change that XML really now needs"  which people interested in the past and future of XML may find familiar but not irrelevant.

Key passage, or twist:

"For several decades I have dabbled with methods to speed up parsing UTF-8 and XML using SIMD and parallel parsing: my conclusion is that the approach I am suggesting here is the only feasible way for XML to not be sidelined as slow and complex. I think the lack of papers and experience demonstrating otherwise indicates it too.)"

Regards
Rick

(Here in Sydney we are in lockdown again, after an exiled year of almost no cases, Delta broke through, and we are trying to eliminate it. Taiwan successfully eliminated it this month, so maybe we will: elimination is a feasible strategy on islands, rather than just suppression. I get my 2nd vaccine tomorrow.)

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index]

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.