[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: ArchForms and LPDs

• To: Rick Jelliffe <rjelliffe@allette.com.au>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2021 15:42:02 -0400

Re:  ArchForms and LPDs

On Sat, Jul 31, 2021 at 3:51 AM Rick Jelliffe <rjelliffe@allette.com.au> wrote:

For background, for readers who don't know what normalization is: consider A with an angstrom diacritical:  a legacy character set may use two one character to represent A and one character to represent combining the angstrom, or it may use one. Unicode supports both forms ( U+0041 U+0301 i.e. NFD,  and U+0058 i.e. NFC) , and they are invisible to the eye and disruptive for simple collating and string matching. 

Actually. there are three cases:

1) U+00C5 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER A WITH RING ABOVE

2) U+212B ANGSTROM SIGN

3) U+0041 LATIN SMALL LETTER A followed by U+030A COMBINING RING ABOVE

Normalization form C will reduce all three to case 1 (and normalization form D will reduce all three to case 3).

First, to confirm the status quo: as I understand it:
  • XML 1.0 (5th) says non-normatively to use NFC for 1. names: element names, attribute names, entity names, name tokens in attribute values as best practise.

Correct.

Correct.  (I wish the W3C would deprecate XML 1.1 once and for all.)

(My proposal for my system is that normalization of names (to NFC) is a server-side responsibility, which clients may check for: or they may build name normalization in themselves too. This only applies to tokens that are not in double quotes, not to strings or literals.   (I will update the documentation on www.schematron.com  for RAN: Random Access Notation with this. )

As I said before, normalization should be left to processes that do comparison or searching.  No flavor of XML normalizes start-tags or end-tags; if they don't match using verbatim code points, you are out of luck. 

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index]

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.