[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: References to unparsed entities

• Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2018 16:41:59 -0800

Re:  References to unparsed entities
Thanks. I hadn't noticed the difference between error and fatal error.

-- Ronb

On 1/6/2018 4:13 PM, John Cowan wrote:

On Sat, Jan 6, 2018 at 6:14 PM, Ronald Bourret <rpbourret@rpbourret.com <mailto:rpbourret@rpbourret.com>> wrote:

Section 4.4.9 states:

"The following ... constitute fatal errors: the appearance of a
reference to an unparsed entity, except in the EntityValue in an
entity declaration."

Section 4.4.9 states:

"It is an error for a reference to an unparsed entity to appear in
the EntityValue in an entity declaration."

Why don't these contradict each other?

Because they apply in mutually exclusive circumstances.  Outside an entity declaration, a reference to an unparsed entity is a fatal error that must be detected and reported.  Inside an entity declaration, it is merely an error, which may or may not be detected and, if detected, may or may not be reported.

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.  Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."  —Groucho Marx

--
 John Cowan http://vrici.lojban.org/~cowan cowan@ccil.org <mailto:cowan@ccil.org>
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths
led. And through the air. I am he that walks unseen.  I am the clue-finder,
the web-cutter, the stinging fly. I was chosen for the lucky number. --Bilbo

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index]

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.