[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: Use DTDs!

• To: Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com>
  • Date: Fri, 6 May 2016 13:03:08 +1000

Re:  Use DTDs!

I dont think  &nbsp;  is evil: use of the direct character *is* evil, for the human editors and operators. Similarly, for the different dashes and quotes and numerals: anywhere the glyph is ambiguous, it is better to use names. Numeric character references are OK for preventing confusion about which character code is intended, but they dont tell what character is use: they prevent a negative but they dont contribute a positive.) 

Just yesterday we had an xml parsing error message (xerces i think) saying that  ' " " is unexpected data in element content.' The developers had all sorts elaborate theories about why spaces were not allowed in some element content and not others: all wrong.  I used a hex editor to show it was U+00A0.  If the markup had used any kind of reference, there would have been no problem.

So i like named characters and Eliot does not like declarations. Both could be accomodated by building in the standard iso/w3c public entity sets into xml so declarations were needed.

Cheers
Rick

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index]

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.