[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: Common API for grammar-constraint

• To: Christophe Marchand <cmarchand@oxiane.com>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2016 23:22:52 +0000

Re:  Common API for grammar-constraint
Hi Christophe,

For the tools I’ve dealt with, Schematron is added as a second level of validation. Meaning you use DTD or Schema for fundamental validation of the document and then one or more Schematrons for identifying good/bad patterns. In the publishing space I haven’t encountered the use of Schematron for complete validation of documents (e.g. without an accompanying DTD or Schema).

Regarding RelaxNG, I think it is common practice to translate the RNG to W3C Schema, then use the Schema for validation. Some tools also take the same approach with DTDs - translate to Schema then use Schema for validation. I think DTDs can be “losslessly” represented as W3C Schema but if not others on this list will shoot me down :)

As to how to identify if a content edit is valid or invalid, I’m no expert but the first thing I’d try is to duplicate the DOM, edit the content in the second DOM, then try and validate that second DOM. If validation failed, the addition/change/deletion was not allowed :) If validation succeeded, throw away your original DOM and use the new one instead.

I suspect that algorithm will be slow and unwieldy for anything other than trivial documents. However, even if you go with a more optimised algorithm for validating changes, it might still be handy to keep the duplicate-DOM approach as a way of verifying your clever algorithms are functioning as expected.

// Gareth Oakes
// Chief Architect, GPSL
// www.gpsl.co

On 7/01/2016, 18:37, "Christophe Marchand" <cmarchand@oxiane.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>in a xml-editor context, I'm looking for an API which could give the 
>edition-possibilities on a node ( and a caret position), according to a 
>given grammar.
>The idea is to fill the completion popup in an editor, to allow/forbid 
>adds, deletes, moves, etc...
>
>I want to use many grammars (RelaxNG, XSD, Schematron), so I'm looking 
>for a tool/API which is common, or a unified result format.
>
>XSOM provides an object model from a XSD, which is interesting, but does 
>not support other grammars.
>I have no idea on how to validate a document-fragment (with a context, 
>if needed), I've found no API for this.
>
>Any hints on these subjects will be much appreciated.
>
>Best regards,
>Christophe
>
>_______________________________________________________________________
>
>XML-DEV is a publicly archived, unmoderated list hosted by OASIS
>to support XML implementation and development. To minimize
>spam in the archives, you must subscribe before posting.
>
>[Un]Subscribe/change address: http://www.oasis-open.org/mlmanage/
>Or unsubscribe: xml-dev-unsubscribe@lists.xml.org
>subscribe: xml-dev-subscribe@lists.xml.org
>List archive: http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/
>List Guidelines: http://www.oasis-open.org/maillists/guidelines.php

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index]

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.