[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

RE: Recommend a book on algorithms for determining if an input(that conf

• To: "xml-dev@lists.xml.org" <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2014 12:31:30 +0000

RE: Recommend a book on algorithms for determining if an input(that conf

Hi Folks,

I received this message off-line:

ؼspan >  I'd think analytic grammars would be the place to start.

Ah! Very exciting.

Would you recommend a book on analytic grammars?

I just learned a bit about analytic grammars from Wikipedia:

Though there is a tremendous body of literature on parsing algorithms, most of these algorithms assume that the language to be parsed is initially described by means of a generative formal grammar, and that the goal is to transform this generative grammar into a working parser. Strictly speaking, a generative grammar does not in any way correspond to the algorithm used to parse a language, and various algorithms have different restrictions on the form of production rules that are considered well-formed.

An alternative approach is to formalize the language in terms of an analytic grammar in the first place, which more directly corresponds to the structure and semantics of a parser for the language. Examples of analytic grammar formalisms include the following:

- The Language Machine directly implements unrestricted analytic grammars. Substitution rules are used to transform an input to produce outputs and behavior. The system can also produce the lm-diagram which shows what happens when the rules of an unrestricted analytic grammar are being applied.

- Top-down parsing language (TDPL): a highly minimalist analytic grammar formalism developed in the early 1970s to study the behavior of top-down parsers.

- Link grammars: a form of analytic grammar designed for linguistics, which derives syntactic structure by examining the positional relationships between pairs of words.

- Parsing expression grammars (PEGs): a more recent generalization of TDPL designed around the practical expressiveness needs of programming language and compiler writers.

Sent: Sunday, August 17, 2014 5:18 PM
To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
Subject: Recommend a book on algorithms for determining if an input (that conforms to a grammar) has a specified property?

Hi Folks,

Would you recommend an algorithm’s book please? Specifically, a book containing algorithms about how to determine if an input (that conforms to a grammar) has property P.

Allow me to explain.

Suppose I have a grammar for a Book. I could use XSD, or RNG, or Backus-Naur, or EBNF,  or something else to express the grammar. Suppose the grammar expresses this:

Book must contain a Title, one or

more Authors, a Date, an ISBN, and

a Publisher.

Many instances are then created. The instances could be expressed in XML, or JSON, or many other ways. Here’s an instance, expressed in XML:

<Book>

<Title>Introduction to Graph Theory</Title>

<Author>Richard J. Trudeau</Author>

<Date>1993</Date>

<ISBN>0-486-67870-9</ISBN>

<Publisher>Dover</Publisher>
</Book>

Next, I feed into an algorithm the grammar, an instance, and a property. Here is an example of a property: Does the instance have more than one Author?

Here is a graphic which summarizes the situation:

Are there books which describe algorithms for determining if an input (that conforms to a grammar) has a specified property?

/Roger  

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index]

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.