[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

RE: RFC for XML Object Parsing - New Thought

• To: Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2014 05:30:35 -0600

RE:  RFC for XML Object Parsing - New Thought
Michael,

As len said, after a decade a silence, not much in terms of new ideas are really exchanged on this thread anymore since XML is seen to be "fully baked". 

That is not an insult to anyone.  It is discussion of a mindset.  If the bread is baked then it stands to reason that it wont be back in the oven.  No insult to anyone who didn't know we would have bread pudding.  It's a rare exception to the rule that baked bread does not go back in the oven. 

As len said, folks are skeptical by practice and most "new" ideas have been around before.  The OID idea is only partly new and only partly mine.  It builds on other good ideas.  btw - I think 10 years of no input while the kitchen was cooled down is cool.

I did not insult anybody.  I have been baking an OID implementation for a long time.  I believe it will be a significant open source contribution.  OID made it off the whiteboard long ago and it's a new idea that's more than half baked.  As you said XML hasn't changed much in 16 years.  It is seen to be fully baked.

No insults intended, I hope that is clear.  I understand the mindset about re-molding a thing that has been set for 16 years, IAM not insulting that mindset merely recognizing it.  IAM also not insulting anyone OASIS.  Servers go down and we as humans spend more time on blame than on repair that's probably why they were down so long.

Brian

Subject: Re: RFC for XML Object Parsing - New Thought
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2014 11:29:45 +0100
CC: list1@t...; xml-dev@l...
To: xmlboss@l...

On 31 Mar 2014, at 11:02, Brian Aberle <xmlboss@l...> wrote:

Both examples show PI's at a global scope(selecting the XSL that will be applied to the whole XML document.)  In both examples PI's are 'global', in that they apply to the whole XML document.  Can PI's be scoped inside an element?  Is there anyone listening @ that can provide a quick answer with certainty? 

Yes and yes.

I came to specifically for comments like this one that force me to think of other possibilities.  Does go offline frequently?  What causes 5 days down?  

Not often but occasionally. Running mailing lists is not the primary business of the people who do it, they do it for free, and there's no service contract, so you get what you pay for.

As len said, after a decade a silence, not much in terms of new ideas are really exchanged on this thread anymore since XML is seen to be "fully baked". 

You're not going to win friends with insulting remarks like that. Many new ideas have been aired on this list, and if you think yours is the first or the best, then you need to get a sense of perspective. If XML hasn't changed much in 16 years that's not because it can't be improved and it's not for want of ideas, it's because the costs of change usually exceed the benefits - you'll find lots of discussion on that theme if you search the archives.

Michael Kay
Saxonica

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index]

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.