[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

RE: RFC for XML Object Parsing

• To: Gareth Oakes <goakes@gpsl.co>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 17:42:36 -0600

RE:  RFC for XML Object Parsing
Gareth,

You said, ... It makes me wonder if it would be more appropriate to store these attributes as either a separate information item type (from an XML Infoset perspective) or alternatively use the xml: attribute prefix to mark them as something special.

I say, I am entirely open to switching up the syntax for community consensus.  In the beginning "oid" was "ObjectID".  It was abbreviated as I suspect UpdateTime should be.  The OID is needed immediately after obtaining the element name since the OID links us to the place where the attributes, data, and children elements will go.  Note that any element can have and OID but few do.  Right after the element name seems the most logical place to me, the syntax can be anything with consideration to XML 1.0 well-formed-ness - so a "reserved word" attribute was used.

You said, I still don't get why you would want to store and update data in one single humongous XML file, but there is obviously a good reason for that in your  application. (Are you using an XML database and XQuery too?)

I say, the example of a huge XML file was purely hypothetical.  It is a conceivable non-ideal case that would demand some super fast parser.  The XML Database is an area of great interest to me.  Where XML meets the DBMS kernel for a native implementation is a place I think about frequently.  Here is an article about a product that used "oid", this was from sometime around 2001 : https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=D7EC275E76D295CF%21777

Even before that I had developed a distributed datamart system that parsed, re-wrote and optimized SQL as part of the implementation.  I was 1/3 of the development resources on that project and used caching ODBC drivers I developed myself.

Brian

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index]

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.