[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: Requirements of the editor of a working group that isdevel

• To: "Costello, Roger L." <costello@mitre.org>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2012 10:58:26 -0500

Re:  Requirements of the editor of a working group that isdevel

On Nov 13, 2012, at 8:32 AM, Costello, Roger L. wrote:

> Hi Folks,
> 
> Suppose that you are part of a group of people developing a new XML markup language.
> 
> One person is designated as the editor.
> 
> I recommend that that person (a) be a SuperProgrammer, and (b) is required to single-handedly implement a reference implementation of the markup language.
> 
snip

It seems to me you are over-specifying without sufficient analysis.  Certainly it's appropriate to demonstrate that a spec is implementable (W3C rules require this before a spec becomes a Recommendation).  However, do you know enough about all possible XML markup languages to recommend that each be implemented by one person?  Even if so, why does that one person have to be the Editor?  Depending on how the group divides up the work, the Editor may have so much "editorial" work that a better implementation might be produced by someone else on the team.  If the idea is that the implementation has to be possible by *one* person who is extremely busy with other things already, that might be neat, but do you really know enough to *recommend* that?  

Also, I'm not sure I want a single "reference implementation"?  I prefer the W3C's idea of two (or more) interoperable implementations (by different people/groups). 

> 
> I cite two examples of working groups that met this requirement:

snip

> 
> Adhere to this requirement and you will have a successful development of the markup language. Don't adhere to this requirement and you will likely fail or it will be extremely expensive or both.

Two successful examples don't provide enough support for a general rule such as the one you're proposing.  Are you also suggesting that other markup languages either failed, were extremely expensive, or both (and, if they did, that the Editor not being the sole implementor of an implementation was the cause)?

--Frank

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index]

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.