[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

RNG vs. XSD : is the use of abstract types and polymorphism a goodor ba

• To: "xml-dev@lists.xml.org" <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 14:37:05 +0000

RNG vs. XSD :  is the use of abstract types and polymorphism a goodor ba
Hi Folks,

James Clark and MURATA Makoto are the two principles that were involved in designing RELAX NG.

I noticed that they did not incorporate into RELAX NG these features:

- a reusable collection of elements and attributes that is designated "abstract" 

-- XML Schema has this. It is a complexType with abstract="true"

- polymorphism (i.e., the ability to replace one thing with another provided both things descend from the same type)

-- XML Schema has this. It is element substitution and type substitution

I wonder why James Clark and MURATA Makoto didn't incorporate abstract types and polymorphism into RELAX NG? 

James Clark and MURATA Makoto are both really, really smart guys. 

I am sure they had good reasons for not incorporating these things.

I can think of two possible reasons:

(1) They determined that abstract types and polymorphism are not appropriate for a schema language for XML.

(2) They determined that incorporating those features would have made RELAX NG too complicated.

If the reason is (1) then I would like to know why abstract types and polymorphism are not appropriate for a schema language for XML? Are there dangers in designing schemas for XML that use abstract types and polymorphism? Does James Clark and MURATA Makoto recommend, when using XML Schemas, avoiding its abstract types and polymorphism?

/Roger

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index]

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.