[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: Re: Interesting times regarding structured data and theweb

• To: stephengreenubl@gmail.com
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 23:36:08 +0100

Re:  Re: Interesting times regarding structured data and theweb
I would have thought this is more about the W3C being in retreat from the large companies to which Manu refers. As ever, such companies like to have tiffs with each other when they think there is commercial advantage, before they commit to any standards. On this occasion they may not have any interest in making such a commitment, meanwhile tearing up existing standards in the process of the shake out.
It should be born in mind that the balance of power of interested parties has fundamentally shifted over the last few years. No BEA, no SUN, a very large Google and Oracle trying to hold the reins.
If those two see an advantage in not agreeing then they will do so.
Each may want their own, non-interoperable, way to get data to the cloud.

Adam

On 12 July 2011 17:06, Stephen D Green <stephengreenubl@gmail.com> wrote:
Apologies my previous email was very terse - having to juggle other matters at the
same time.

Does this signal a beginning of an official shift on the Web away from use of XML for
structuring data? If so, I hadn't realised the Web/XML situation was quite *that* critical.

I notice the TAG list seemed to solicit external comments. I would think such a situation
could warrant a bit more than just that - more like an international or global referendum!

Am I misunderstanding things and overestimating the urgency?

I notice the question of what purpose structured data might have in a web page came
up: I haven't come across much discussion of the uses (use cases or more than that) 
of XML structured data inside web pages. I thought it was so fundamentally obvious
to web developers as to not require discussion but maybe not.

Cheers

Steve 
----
Stephen D Green

On 11 July 2011 20:01, Stephen D Green <stephengreenubl@gmail.com> wrote:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2011Jul/0018.html

Interesting times regarding structured data and the web - events unfloding on W3C TAG list.

My tuppence-worth - I just hope there's a plan B
----
Stephen D Green

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index]

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.