[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

help with schematron (axis in pattern must be child or attribute)

• To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2010 12:04:02 -0700

help with schematron (axis in pattern must be child or attribute)
Hello. 

I have a question about Schematron.  I don't know if this is a suitable forum, but it's worth a shot.

I have an XML file with certain elements with an attribute that can take one of a set of values.  That set, however, change depending upon the position of the element.  Here's a simplified sample:

<root>
  <!-- the 1st matching element -->
  <element match="true" value="one"/>
  <element match="false">
    <element match="false">
     <!-- the 2nd matching element -->
      <element match="true" value="two"/>
    </element>
  </element>
  <element match="false/>
  <!-- the 3rd matching element -->
  <element match="true" value="three/>
</root>

I've been playing with XPath and the following expression will match all of the appropriate elements:

"/descendant-or-self::node()[@match='true']"

I can narrow this down by adding "[position()=n]" and then check in an <assert> that @value is one of the allowable terms.

In order to ensure that I don't miss out on any _nested_ elements (as with number 2 above) - the matching elements could be absolutely anyplace in the document - I search all descendants of the root element.

However, the above expression generates an error: "axis in pattern must be child or attribute". 

Does anybody have any ideas on how to solve this?

Many thanks for your help

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index]

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.