[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Example of an XML workflow (and no coding required)

• To: "'xml-dev@l...'" <xml-dev@l...>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 11:43:10 -0400

Example of an XML workflow (and no coding required)

Hi Folks,

Here is an example of an XML workflow. I implemented this workflow without writing a single line of Java (C++, Perl, etc) code. I simply described "what" workflow I wanted, handed it off to a standard tool, and it implemented the workflow (i.e. it orchestrated the movement of the XML document through the various workflow tasks I identified).

EXAMPLE XML WORKFLOW

Here is a sample XML document that I desire my workflow to be able to process. It contains a bunch of <Para> elements. Each <Para> element has a classification, and the root <Document> element has a classification:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<Document classification="secret">
    <Para classification="unclassified">
    </Para>
    <Para classification="confidential">
    </Para>
    <Para classification="unclassified">
    </Para>
    <Para classification="secret">
    </Para>
</Document>

Here is the process for this document:

1. Check that it is syntactically correct (i.e. check that Document is the root element, check that it contains one or more Para elements, check that each element has a classification attribute, check that the classification values are legal). Use XML Schema validation.

2. Apply this security policy rule: no Para may have a classification higher than the Document's classification. Use Schematron.

3. Apply this second security policy rule: check for "dirty words" (i.e. the document does not contain the words "SCRIPT" or "FUNCTION"). Use Schematron.

4. Assign a tracking number to the document:
    - Insert a <TrackingNumber> element into the document.
    - Generate a UUDI and insert it into <TrackingNumber>

Here is a picture showing the workflow:

http://www.xfront.com/XML-document-workflow.gif

I described this workflow using XProc (XML Pipeline Language), handed the description off to Calabash (an XProc processor), and Calabash did the rest. I didn't write a single line of Java (C++, Perl, etc) code.

Cool!

/Roger

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index]

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.