[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

RE: Ten Years Later - XML 1.0 Fifth Edition?

• To: "'Michael Champion'" <mc@x...>,"'XML Developers List'" <xml-dev@l...>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 10:01:39 -0000

RE:  Ten Years Later - XML 1.0 Fifth Edition?
>Are there real-world scenarios where current applications break? (I don't mean corner cases in implementers test suites, I mean actual applications that somehow depend a parser rejecting documents that would be accepted under the proposed edited recommendation).

I would think there are very many applications that would break if obscure characters start appearing in names or IDs. But most of them would break on obscure characters that XML 1.0 already allows. The interesting case is an application that (a) handles all XML 1.0 names correctly, (b) can't handle all XML 1.0.5 names, and (c) actually starts receiving documents containing XML 1.0.5 names. I suspect that won't happen very often. But it doesn't alter the fact that someone who deploys such an application is entitled to prevent failures happening by configuring it to use a parser that enforces the rules his application is relying on, and that's going to be a lot easier to achieve if different versions of the specification are properly numbered.

After all, the extended character set is being supported to meet the needs of a minority community. In meeting their needs, we mustn't forget the needs of another minority community, namely those who care about high integrity systems.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/

Sent: 22 February 2008 05:59
To: XML Developers List
Subject: Re: Ten Years Later - XML 1.0 Fifth Edition?

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index]

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.