[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

RE: Parsing without resolving entities

• To: "Michael Kay" <mike@s...>,<xml-dev@l...>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 10:02:57 -0400

RE:  Parsing without resolving entities
Title: Message
Thanks for the notes on How to solve this issue.  I was really hoping to get a different answer!  :-)  I hadn't considered modifying the entity file or using processing instructions to protect the entities from being resolved.

Can anyone address the Why and include the perspective of a parser requirements writer / standards committee member?  To me, this seems like valuable functionality that is lacking from the current tools. 

>> Randy

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, October 29, 2007 12:49 PM
To: Randy McGarvey; xml-dev@l...
Subject: RE: Parsing without resolving entities

It's a real pain that doesn't have a common solution. I tend to

(a) avoid using entities. Because I only ever use XML via XSLT, processing-instructions are much more manageable.

(b) if I do use entities, don't rely on them remaining intact - i.e. there should be no difference in information content between an entity and its expansion (so you can always re-entitize mechanistically if you need to).

(c) preprocess, as suggested, to replace the ampersands by something else: for example <?ent mdash?>.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/

Sent: 29 October 2007 15:04
To: xml-dev@l...
Subject: Parsing without resolving entities

If I have data with character entities such as &sect; or &mdash; in the XML, what is the best way to keep those intact, as is, after a parse.  Are there any parsers that have an option not to resolve entities?  What is the best way you've found to deal with this issue?  Do you escape the ampersands (e.g. &amp;sect;) in a pre-process?  Do you address it in an entity handler to re-write the original entity text?  This seems like a real pain that must have a common solution.

Thanks!
>> Randy

Do you get frequent requests for copies of certain sections of your Code? We can reproduce chapters of your Code in handy pamphlet format - no minimum quantity required! Order yours today.

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index]

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.