[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Schema composition questions

• To: <xml-dev@l...>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2007 01:05:34 -0700

Schema composition questions
Title: Schema composition questions

Hello,

I hope that it is appropriate to post a link to a thread in xmlschema-dev, where I could not get a response (other than that of Paul Kiel, who tried kind to answer from a schema author's point of view).

I have some questions which are related to schema composition. I read the XML Schema recommendation and was not able to understand the desired correct behavior in some cases.

I hope that some of the experts here can help me by shedding some light on this. I need the perspective from an implementation of an XML processor rather than the one of a schema author (although that perspective can surely give some insights as well): I'm trying to understand how it is expected to work, not design patterns that work around incompatibility issues.

The original questions were asked here: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xmlschema-dev/2007Jul/0001.html

Some more examples for "what I mean" are listed in my response to Paul Kiel below.

Thanks for your help

Shlomo.

-----Original Message-----
From: xmlschema-dev-request@w... on behalf of Shlomo Yona
Sent: Sun 7/8/2007 10:41 AM
To: Paul Kiel; xmlschema-dev@w...
Subject: RE: schema composition questions

Hello,

[This is related to my 1st question]
>>Paul: this is certainly legal and useful. It is called "namespace
>>coercion" because you are coercing the schema B into the namespace A.  But
>>if the nesting gets more complicated it sometimes is not exactly
>>interoperable across implementations.  We ran into trouble using this some
>>time ago.

I think that I understand what happens in a trivial case such as this:
A (tns "A") includes B (no tns)

All the top level names in B are now in the namespace that A declares as its target namespace (tns "A").

What I don't understand is the case where
A (tns "A") includes B (no tns) which imports C (tns "C").
Is this a legal situation?
What is the fully qualified name of top level names from C in the composed schema document?
I would argue that the following possibilities should be considered (I am not sure that I listed all possibilities and am not sure at all which is the correct or desired behavior):
* This is illegal and the whole schema processing fails
* A include B import C fails (not all top level names in the composed B and C can be coerced into the target namespace of A) and the result is only A include B (ignoring the import of C into B)
* The composed schema is only A itself due to failure of coercing all the names in the composed B and C schema documents
* The composed schema document includes top level names in A under the target namespace "A" + top level names in B under the target namespace "A" + top level names in C under the target namespace "C".

So... what is the correct or desired behavior?

[this is related to my 2nd question]
>>Paul:  The ordering is not significant here.

Is it always the case that the order of processing xsd:import and xsd:include in a schema document is insignificant? Or are there examples where order matters?

[This is related to my 3rd question]
>>Paul: This is where interoperability can be a problem.
>>I would suggest that you keep it to one no-ns schema being
>>included into one ns schema.
>>If you have multiple levels of includes and multiple levels
>>of "coercion" then tools can interpret that differently.
>>To be frank, we ran into problems with namespace coercion
>> and decided to abandon it altogether. 

This is exactly my question. I'm asking this from an XML processor implementation point of view and not from a schema author "best practice" point of view. I want to implement the "right thing" and the correct behavior. My problem is that I do not understand from the recommendation what is exactly the correct behavior.

[This is related to my 4th question]
>>Paul: There is not a problem with circular includes per se.
>>Namespaces aside, the spec says that duplicative includes/imports
>>should be ignored.
>>So just being circular is not an error.
>>Now with namespaces, you are better off avoiding this kind of
>> behaviour because tools may interpret it differently.

Again, I want to implement the correct behavior into my XML processor. I'm not asking this as a schema author. Can you point out the proper way to handle such cases? Where in the recommendation is this issue being discussed and how is it suggested to process a set of XML schema documents that have circular dependencies in the general case?

[This is related to my 5th question]
>>Paul: not sure I understand here.
>>If it is about coercion of the namespace of the any, then I refer
>>to earlier comments.
>>If it is about what other options are available for namespace
>>declaration of any, then there are options such as "##other"
>>for specifying a different namespace, "##any" for any namespace,
>>and there are some others too.  The spec lists them.

I was probably not clear. Let me try with an example:

A (tns "A") includes B (no tns) which includes C (no tns) which imports A.
C contains: <xsd:any namespace="A"/>.
To which top level names does this wildcard refer to?
Only those listed in the A schema document?
Perhaps those listed in B too?
Perhaps those in A, B and C?

I can give other examples where this is complicated for me to understand, for example:

A (tns "A") includes AA (tns "A") and also includes B (no tns) which includes C (no tns).
C contains: <xsd:any namespace="A"/>.
But to which top level names does this wildcard refer to?
What if AA contains <xsd:any namespace="A"/>?
To which top level names does this wildcard refer to?

Of course, there are plenty more other examples to cook up which are, at least for me, similarly unclear.

I hope that you and the other experts here can help me out.

Thanks.

Shlomo.

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index]

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.