[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: What niche is XQuery targeting?

• To: Jonathan Robie <jonathan.robie@d...>
  • Subject: Re: What niche is XQuery targeting?
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 14:11:05 -0800 (PST)
  • Cc: Tom Bradford <tbradford@o...>, Dare Obasanjo <dareo@m...>, Tim Bray <tbray@t...>, Daniela Florescu <dflorescu@m...>, XML Developers List <xml-dev@l...>
  • Comment: DomainKeys? See http://antispam.yahoo.com/domainkeys
  • Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=yahoo.com; b=wcObGxn4nlQ0P+84XJqGSfQaqwOdYP4my4wNQruX5Z6YNiN8D6E2hg6nnl4977UReFC45wmdAIvPa8Gwh+0cdmMc0LVNj8zPVCe2Zn/Rgi1q23G04735bbWSHXQgSsvKzEz7U4B6HV/Q7oIs/i05nPcNrWtew/U9B9/ynAJO3wc= ;
  • In-reply-to: <41BE0D71.5010101@d...>

prakash prakash

Jonathan Robie <jonathan.robie@d...> wrote:

Prakash, Prakash Yamuna, Yamuna wrote:
> Perhaps XQuery has not taken off because it was designed primarily as
> query language for an XML database? If we look back at the
> justifications for XQuery - optimization stands out as primary reason.
>
> Given such a pre-requisite it seems like XML databases have to take off
> before XQuery can.

Or at least databases that use XML. XQuery is being implemented by most
of the major relational database vendors, but these implementations are
not yet available. And it's being implemented by most of the XML
databases, but these are a smaller market.

<prakash>

You are absolutely correct. When I mentioned XML database - I didn't have a native XML database in mind.

</prakash>

> Of course whether XQuery turns out to be the winner or some variant of
> SQL is an open question.

Actually, H2 is actively working to add XQuery to SQL/XML, so the SQL
variant that will be part of the standard will include XQuery. Some
might consider that a measure of success.

<prakash>

Good to know;

Frankly whether XQuery succeeds or not is a moot point - if it doesn't something else will - but the lessons learnt from the XQuery effort will definitely be useful.

The key point - I think is that there is a niche "A Query language for XML databases (native XML databases or XML over relational/object databases)".

This will take off once XML databases take off - which should happen in a few years as the big database vendors start adding support.

One cannot use XSLT - for a variety of reasons - but the big #2 in my mind are:

[Note: most of these are not my own - unfortunately I am unable to find the relevant sources to attribute the relevant points]:

1) the query compilation and optimization has been well researched for SQL and the vendors would like to leverage their investments in supporting XQuery.

2) Not much research exists in using template based/rule based query languages (atleast as far as I know - please feel free to share the links if people are aware of such work). Perhaps the database community has tunnel vision and does not want to look outside the established way of doing things - but even if it does #1 will override.

</prakash>
Jonathan

Do you Yahoo!?
Send a seasonal email greeting and help others. http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=29912/*http://celebrity.mail.yahoo.com/

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.