[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: Low-end Office 11 won't do user schemas, it seems

marketing blurb
In a message dated 13/04/2003 16:11:23 GMT Daylight Time, uche.ogbuji@f... writes:

Most of us here have seen InfoPath in some guise, but I would wager few have
seen it in any supposed role s next-generation business forms interface. 

Uche,

Microsoft are selling InfoPath as inter alia a business forms interface.

The Microsoft marketing blurb is pretty specific.

See, for example, http://www.microsoft.com/office/preview/infopath/default.asp
where the headline message states, "InfoPath 2003 (formerly code-named "XDocs"), a new program in the Microsoft Office System, helps teams and organizations gather and share information in an organization by creating rich, dynamic Extensible Markup Language (XML)–based forms. Business users can more easily collect, access, and reuse information with InfoPath so that they can make better informed decisions.".

Looking beyond the marketing blurb it seems pretty clear to me that Microsoft is positioning InfoPath as an XML-based forms product for collecting enterprise/business data. That would fit with the seeming non-availability of InfoPath in the down market versions of Office.

As I said in a separate post the gluing of InfoPath data into other MS back-end products will, I suspect, be where the perceived added business value will be.

How well InfoPath 1.0 will deliver on those aspirations is a separate question.

Andrew Watt

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.