[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

SV: XML=WAP? And DOA?

• To: "Mike Champion" <mc@x...>,<xml-dev@l...>
  • Subject: SV: XML=WAP? And DOA?
  • From: "Jens Jakob Andersen, PDI" <jens.jakob.andersen@p...>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 09:34:02 +0100
  • Thread-index: AcGcnsBRyXGw0UmvR4CWkOUHNJIuSwANmJYA
  • Thread-topic: XML=WAP? And DOA?

doa sourcecode
Hi Mike

> So, JJ, would a hypothetical "Crystal Reports for XML" that 
> abstracted away the messier details of XPath, XQuery, and XSL 
> (FO and/or XSLT) behind a decent UI help your friends 
> significantly?
> 

Sorry, nope. It would be like cutting somebody badly, and then ask if a kid-size band-aid would be of any help, (Hey look, it has got colorfull Mickey Mouses on it too...).

My friends are all quite clever people, talking Perl, ASP, SQL, Lingo, Java etc. etc. etc. So it is not the technicalities that keep them away from XML.

We all agree that XML is easy to start with (hey, you just need Notepad), but it is not as usefull as HTML.

I know that one buzz of XML is single source publishing. Has anyone really done this with success in a reasoble timeframe? If you need to do anything but the simplest layout (maybe a bit more, then, OK), XSLT is not strong and flexible enough.

If you need to do an advertisment style cross-platform web-site, XML+XSLT is definately not the way to go. Before the stylesheet was done, you could have made 50 web-sites using e.g. Dreamweawer with both HTML, Flash and WAP support.

On the other hand, if we look at the interchange aspect.

I agree that XML is good for marking up data+documents. Yes. And with a parser+DTD at hand, you can easily validate the documents. (Although it will still only be a syntactical validation, and not a semantical validation, which you still have to hardcode in the application (and thus briong the sourcecode to court again, if you end up with problems.))

On the other hand, guaranteed delivery, transmission routes, etc. etc. etc. is handled outside of XML, in some kind of SW, e.g. OTA, IBM MQ or something from Iona. 

I see that XML is a bit the tip of the iceberg. The real work lies everywhere else. 

I support the notion, that XML works as a catalyzer for starting projects, but it does definately not carry projects home.

JJ

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.