[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

CDATA conversion issue

• To: xml-dev@l...
  • Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 15:10:46 -0700

cdata conversion
We need to allow people to view/edit XML messages in our application.  When we import a document that has a CDATA section into  an XML Parser the values are converted using the escape characters and created in the DOM as a text node. (We have tried this with 2 parsers, Sun Forte 4GL and Oracle's Java Parser) Thus, if the document is exported from the DOM, the CDATA section is gone, and the data now contains the escape characters.

Example Starting Doc
<aDoc><![CDATA[<aTag>Hello</aTag>]]></aDoc>

Example Ending Doc
<aDoc>&lt;aTag&gt;Hello&lt;/aTag&gt;</aDoc>

I am sure this is the intended DOM behavior, but it clearly does not satisfy our needs. 

Note:  If we add a CDATA section programmatically using the DOM, the export is correct.  This leads us to our only proposed solution so far which is to write our own code that parses the document and creates a DOM representation of the data not converting the CDATA sections.  Hopefully this is not the only solution!

Here is the code we are using (This is using the Sun Forte 4GL but you should be able to read this for the logic.):
//Open a Test File
aFile:File=New;
aFile.SetLocalName('c:\\temp\\ainfile.xml');
aFile.open(sp_am_read);

//Import the document
aDocument:Document=New;
aDocument.ImportDocument(aFile);

//Create an output file
aOutFile:File=New;
aOutFile.SetLocalName('c:\\temp\\aoutfile.xml');
aOutFile.open(sp_am_write);

//Export the docuemnt
aDocument.ExportDocument(aoutFile);

//Close the files.
aFile.close();
aOutFile.close(); 

I remembered this sort of question occuring on the list in June and looked in the archives but the solution was encoding base64 and that won't work for me.  What really scares me is in the archive thread Tim Bray says I'm always happy to avoid using CDATA sections if I can."

Lynda VanVleet

Lynda Van Vleet
Software Design Engineer
lvanvleet@c...
http://www.classiq.com/

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.