[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: Services-based automation (WAS RE: Realistic proposals to the W3C?)

• To: Ronald Bourret <rpbourret@r...>, xml-dev@l...
  • Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 21:16:51 +0100

Re: Services-based automation (WAS RE: Realistic proposals to the W3C?)
Ronald

> Martin Bryan wrote:
> > 
> > (Unfortunately, despite many years of screaming on my part,
> > Topic Maps fail to require you to record the meaning of the term!!)
> 
> Having just (perhaps justifiably -- I'm a bit naive in this field) been
> taken to task for assuming that semantics implies the ability to
> automagically determine meaning at the machine level, can I ask what you
> mean here? Is this a human-readable description of each term?
> Machine-readable? And do such descriptions bring anything to the actual
> processing of a topic map or is it just to help the programmer at design
> time?

The names assigned to topics are like the words in a dictionary. They can have multiple interpretations. (Try looking up Run in the Oxford English Dictionary to see what I mean.) Unless you unambiguously reference which of the possible meanings you mean then the name is meaningless. So you really do need to be able to associate a definition with each name. (There could be more than one, just as there could be more than one name, as each language/culture/domain could have its own definition, which may or may not be exact subsets of each other.)

Don't bring machine understanding into this. The furthest the machine can go is recognize equivalences between names. What the definitions do is allow humans to disambiguate between potentially ambiguous names. (Think of them as a help file for the name.)

Martin Bryan

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.