[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: Automating Search Interfaces

• To: "Pierre Morel" <pierlou@C...>, "Xml-Dev" <xml-dev@i...>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 14:33:31 -0800

automating map search
Pierre,

>I would like to talk about the location of the person making the search versus the location of the product or service provider. If I search for a product and I want it now, I only want a list of provider in a distance applicable for my request. And if I go to Europe this summer and want to make reservation or search for activities occuring at that time, the 'where I am' specification change. If I have a secondary house and make request on the week-end, I want the restaurant in that region and not the one near my primary house. An identity profile should be include in the query and give the chance to the search engine to make a better choice in regard of my age, sex, etc...

Interesting.  Some of the issues with product location are:

1. How to indicate location?

Address or map coordinates?  How does one find map coordinates?  What happens when he moves?

2. How to associate location with products?

If a vendor has all inventory at a single location then the location can be #FIXED in his DTD.  If inventory is distributed around the globe, each product or inventory group will have to be marked.  The problem is that now it makes no sense to indicate physical location.  It will have to be a store code which causes problem with search services since store codes will have to be converted into location format used by the search service.

As far as time constraints go, each product will probably be marked with time.  The problem is that some time constraints are relative in nature.

*Ouch*  I just thought of another painful problem with prices.  What happens when a store wants to put on a sale?  His database of products will have to map to different pricing schemes constrained by time, location, or association.

All this hurts my head a bit but it is very interesting indeed...

Regards,

Don Park
http://www.quake.net/~donpark/index.html

• Follow-Ups:
    • LISTRIVIA

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.