[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: Partyin' like it's 1999


hardware xml parsers
Elliotte Harold wrote:

> Rich Salz wrote:
>
>
>> Yes, right now, it is probably not a performance issue that a streaming
>> parser has to buffer everything until it sees the ">".  That can only be
>> addressed by anecdotal evidence. What is more important is that
>> *architecturally* this is a bottleneck. As things get faster, all the
>> other implementations (ew, a JVM? :) will fall away, and we'll still be
>> left with this architectural problem.  I betcha it's already an issue 
>> for
>> some folks building XML parsers in hardware.
>
>
> I don't believe that for a minute. As hardware gets faster, this will 
> too. As the VM and just in time compilers get better, this will too. 
> Other algorithms may get faster here and there, but they're not going 
> to zero. Unless someone has really good measurements to prove caching 
> attributes is a problem, I don't believe it.
>
> You say, "I betcha it's already an issue for some folks building XML 
> parsers in hardware." Datapower builds XML parsers in hardware. Are 
> you saying this is an issue for you? If so, please elaborate. If not, 
> why do you think it would be an issue?
>
You are not asking somebody to give out company secrets, are you :-)

The argument was about namespaces in XML.

>The fact that namespaces in XML requires you to parse all attributes before you can report the name of the start tag even in streaming implementations adds a significant perf cost.
>
Performance is nothing to worry about.

But the possibility to define, redefine, even UNDEFINE namespace scopes 
in every single XML element is a bit baroque.

I think those few applications that need to nest documents from 
namespaces unknown in advance could have dealt pretty well with 
<{ns}:lname/> and all others could have happily declared their 
namespaces in the root elemen.

Anyway, (sigh) the milk is already on the floor.

cheers,
Burak

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3
 

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.


Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.