[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: Fw: [SML] Streaming XML processing. ( Whether to support Attribute o

• To: xml-dev@i...
  • Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 19:59:57 -0500

sml stream
At 03:22 PM 11/29/1999 -0800, Paul Tchistopolskii wrote:
>[...]
>To me the most critical thing in streaming  XML processing 
>is do we allow 'look-forward' rules or all of our rules are 
>'look-backward'. ( Yacc ). [...]

Yes, in terms of the events that XML parser APIs (eg. SAX) spit out, this requires additional "look-ahead" (at future events) to get the same data.  Yes, this will add some complexity to a solution that might otherwise have avoided such look-ahead.

But attributes do not prevent the requirement to do look-ahead.  My stream might be filtered on structured data, which attributes never represent.  Or it might be filtered on unstructured data which happened to be represented in element content.

The "look-ahead" that you already needed for non-attribute data solves your problem.  It does not require anything DOM-like.  A stateful SAX-based parse will work just fine.

>I would better not to support look-forward rules at all in 
>the core API. If there would be another layer, doing such a 
>magic - why not?

You still need this 'magic' in a stateful SAX parse to filter on non-attribute data.

My main attribute issues remain:

- Users want to use attributes to make documents easier to read.
- XML namespaces use attributes for namespace declarations.

And on the flip side:

- Treating attribute values and element content uniformly in layered technologies has caused me and continues to cause me quite a few headaches.  But I've argued that this is only because attributes were given semantic distinctions over element content, whereas I think they should have been just a syntactic shorthand for data that would also be valid in element content.
--
Joe Lapp              (Looking for some good people to help design
Senior Engineer        and build the Internet's business-to-business
webMethods, Inc.       XML infrastructure.  We are 100% Java.)
jlapp@w...           http://www.webMethods.com

xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers. To post, mailto:xml-dev@i...
Archived as: http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/ and on CD-ROM/ISBN 981-02-3594-1
To unsubscribe, mailto:majordomo@i... the following message;
unsubscribe xml-dev
To subscribe to the digests, mailto:majordomo@i... the following message;
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@i...)

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.