[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: XSL and the semantic web

  • From: David Brownell <david-b@p...>
  • To: Marcelo Cantos <marcelo@m...>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 21:57:19 -0700

Re: XSL and the semantic web
Marcelo Cantos wrote:
> 
> On Mon, Jun 21, 1999 at 04:47:35PM -0700, David Brownell wrote:
> > Marc.McDonald@D... wrote:
> > >
> > > When sensitive data needs to be hidden I would send it out
> > > subsetted in the xml: <name>joe</name> <phone>555-12345</phone>
> 
> None of the following argument is at all relevant. 

... except as yet another concrete example.  From specifics, one
can generalize.  I've given other specifics at other times.  The
generalization is simple, and you've not addressed or disproven it:

    It's often an anti-goal to deliver "semantically rich"
    data to arbitrary clients.

I'll also commend you to Paul Prescod's posts.  As he pointed out,
none of this is an argument against a "semantic web", but it just
calls attentions to the limits of what it can be, or do.  That
"semantic web" exists between back end servers too; the fact that
some clients may only get views to it doesn't mean it's not there!


> The real danger, to me, of keeping such a potent capability in the
> closet is that,

That capability has been out of the closet since SGML started!


>	 in the absence of any real discussion of the nitty
> gritty details (which can only occur once the community has started to
> push in the direction of semantic content exposition), implementors
> will undertake courses of action that expose people to all the perils
> you warn against.  They will not listen to the community when it says,
> "semantic content considered harmful."  They will do it anyway (it is,
> after all an exceedingly useful concept), and they will do it badly.

I confess I don't follow your argument.  People who manage databases
are often quite aware of the risks of such disclosures.  I don't assume
they suddenly lose that awareness because they're on the web.  It's
the web designers (including some on this list) that I worry about;
since often they don't care to learn from the past.

- Dave

xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers. To post, mailto:xml-dev@i...
Archived as: http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/ and on CD-ROM/ISBN 981-02-3594-1
To (un)subscribe, mailto:majordomo@i... the following message;
(un)subscribe xml-dev
To subscribe to the digests, mailto:majordomo@i... the following message;
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@i...)



PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3
 

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.


Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.