[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

RE: Re: XSLT 2.0/XPath 2.0 Date arithmetic

Subject: RE: Re: XSLT 2.0/XPath 2.0 Date arithmetic
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 21:06:07 -0400
xpath date arithmetic
That's the direction I was going, but I suppose I was getting tangled in the substring()s and concat() that I was using to produce the XPath 2.0 (or is it XSLT 2.0) format for a date. I was staring at the very volumes you mention, but I'll take another crack at it tomorrow when I'm fresh.
--
Charles Knell
cknell@xxxxxxxxxx - email

-----Original Message-----
Sent:     Wed, 17 May 2006 18:33:05 -0400
To:       xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject:  Re:  XSLT 2.0/XPath 2.0 Date arithmetic

Dear Charles,

The new time-and-date data types work very well for this stuff. First contrive a way to cast your date string to an honest date value (this will involve munging its format a bit to the normative 'YYYY-MM-DD' arrangement, then casting it). At that point you can simply "subtract" days from it. Date arithmetic allows the addition and subtraction of dayTimeDuration values from dates (and times): very handy.

Here's a snippet of code that does something not dissimilar:

<xsl:variable name="day" select="xdt:dayTimeDuration('P1D')"/>

<xsl:variable name="thisMonday"
   select="(for $d in (0 to 6) return
     ($today - ($d * $day)))[format-date(.,'[F]')='Monday']"/>

Given a date value $today, $thisMonday is bound to the immediately-preceding Monday. That is, if $today is (a date value) '2006-05-17', the select expression here iterates over $today and the immediately-preceding six days, and returns those members of the sequence that turn out to be Mondays (which happens to be '2006-05-15'; but if $today were 2006-06-01, $thisMonday would be 2006-05-29).

The short version: if $today = xs:date($string) (and $string is in the form of "2006-05-17"), then

$tMinus1 = ($today - xdt:dayTimeDuration('P1D'))

I'm finding both Mike Kay's XPath 2.0 book, and Jeni Tennison's Learning XSLT 2.0 book, to be invaluable for figuring all this out. Honestly, I don't know what we'd do without them.

Cheers,
Wendell

At 05:29 PM 5/17/2006, you wrote:
Given a parameter, let's call it "today" in the form of this string "20060517", how do I create a variable, let's call it "tMinus1" such that it represents a day earlier than "20060517", that would be "20060516". So long as "$today" isn't the first day of a month, a simple subtraction and followed by a type cast that I don't grasp would do the trick.

What I'm looking for is guidance on date arithmetic.

Thanks.

--
Charles Knell
cknell@xxxxxxxxxx - email

===================================================================== Wendell Piez mailto:wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mulberry Technologies, Inc. http://www.mulberrytech.com
17 West Jefferson Street Direct Phone: 301/315-9635
Suite 207 Phone: 301/315-9631
Rockville, MD 20850 Fax: 301/315-8285
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Mulberry Technologies: A Consultancy Specializing in SGML and XML
=====================================================================

Current Thread

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3
Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.