[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: I have the XSLT, now need to make it usable as use

Subject: Re: I have the XSLT, now need to make it usable as user-input form?
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 17:49:04 -0400
exslt evaluate

On Saturday, April 19, 2003, at 03:11 AM, Andrew Watt wrote:

At 01:08 19/04/2003 -0400, you wrote:
This should be possible with regular HTML form submission as well. Basically imagine that you have one big TEXTAREA in html with the XML in it, and a submit button. THe submit button will simply post whatever's in the textarea back the server.

Simon,

One difference is that XForms will submit well-formed XML data with no visible sign of XML in the interface exposed to the user. It is ok for XML geeks to, for example, enter XML in a textarea, but most users of forms don't speak XML.

Right. The system I'm working on won't present the raw XML ... I was just trying to illustrate a certain concept.

Also, won't the data submitted actually be a name-value pair from an HTML form? The value may well-formed XML but the whole submission won't be.

Yes, but most XSLT processors (libXSLT anyway...) support the ability to extract the name/value as a parameter, by defining the param with the right name and then the value is the ... value. With EXSLT evaluate or somesuch that can be converted into a node tree or whatever it's called (I keep forgetting the lingo).

That might preclude passing the submitted HTML forms instance data to an XSLT application (since the source isn't well-formed) whereas XForms instance data, because it is well-formed can be passed straight to XSLT. Of course a little pre-processing could strip off the name part of the name-value pair from an HTML submission.

Yup, the data could come in as not-well formed. So, in my case, I'm not going to be passing the whole instance through, which would be incredibly inefficient anyway. I was just showing how that might be done.

FWIW, there's still the possibility that a malicious XForms user could hijack the connection and send back malformed XML for some nefarious purpose. So XForms definitely has that as a pro but there's still the possibility of a security issue. That's one reason why I generically prefer server-side solutions.

On the server side the application that receives the data (could be XSLT ...) can simply pull the instance data out of that parameter and then do whatever it wants with it, write it to a file (e.g. using EXSLT document()) write it to a database, verify it, etc.

One viewpoint in a recent XForms list discussion is that dynamic creation of XForms documents, for example using XSLT, will be an important approach.

Cool.

simon

XSL-List info and archive: http://www.mulberrytech.com/xsl/xsl-list

Current Thread

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3
Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.