[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: A simple XSLT transformation -> XForms output

Subject: Re: A simple XSLT transformation -> XForms output
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 17:44:23 -0400
xforms output
Andrew,

thanks for the info. I also looked at Chiba, another person's suggestion. It looks cool and uses XSLT but it not a completely-XSLT implementation (which is what I'm looking for, basically).

Although that may not be possible.

On Saturday, April 19, 2003, at 02:53 AM, Andrew Watt wrote:

When I analysed the situation about 6 months ago it seemed like XForms was a waste of time until there's an implementation in a regular browser. And even then, the functionality can be reproduced (it seems to me) without needing XForms, thus, the browser support will probably lag behind genuinely novel things like SVG support. So, I decided to go with regular HTML forms.

I don't necessarily share the assumption that everything has to happen in the regular browser. But that, almost certainly, is off topic and could be a long discussion.

IBM alphaworks released a few days ago an implementation for normal browsers - more specifically it was designed to display in IE 5.5+ with MSXML 4 Sp1. Which I had but the supplied examples didn't work without scripting errors. IBM's response was that my errors were due to not having MSXML 4 Sp1, which I could see the correct DLLs were there and the Properties indicated they were the correct version.

So, if the IBM implentation will work for you (which it didn't for me) you might like to explore it.

Hmm... I think I'll pass for now. I'm looking for something that doesn't use DOM manipulations in the browser and can therefore be implemented on the server side (like chiba ... except chiba uses client-side DOM).

Skimming the latest chiba white paper it seems as though that author may also be looking at avoiding the DOM on the client side as well. It's apriority for me, as I wish to support any browser (which I was unclear about before, since I said "a browser" ;-)

simon

XSL-List info and archive: http://www.mulberrytech.com/xsl/xsl-list

Current Thread

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3
Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.