[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: Finding Only Initial Following Siblings That Meet

Subject: Re: Finding Only Initial Following Siblings That Meet Some Criteria
From: "Imsieke, Gerrit, le-tex gerrit.imsieke@xxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2020 23:07:21 -0000
Re:  Finding Only Initial Following Siblings That Meet
Grouping should liberate you from looking ahead or behind. So instead of matching the first <ph outputclass="x">, you'd match <p> (or more generally '*[ph[@outputclass]]') and do the group-adjacent grouping for the child nodes, like this:

<xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"
  version="3.0">
  <xsl:template match="*[ph[@outputclass]]">
    <xsl:copy>
      <xsl:apply-templates select="@*" mode="#current"/>
      <xsl:for-each-group select="node()"
        group-adjacent="string(self::ph/@outputclass)">
        <xsl:choose>
          <xsl:when test="current-grouping-key()">
            <xsl:element name="{current-grouping-key()}">
              <xsl:value-of select="current-group()"
                separator=""/>
            </xsl:element>
          </xsl:when>
          <xsl:otherwise>
            <xsl:apply-templates select="current-group()"
              mode="#current"/>
          </xsl:otherwise>
        </xsl:choose>
      </xsl:for-each-group>
    </xsl:copy>
  </xsl:template>

<xsl:mode on-no-match="shallow-copy"/>
</xsl:stylesheet>

This is not shorter in terms of lines of code than what you suggested. In terms of performance, it could be a bit more efficient than your solution, depending on the cost of identifying the first ph[@output-class] and its following siblings, compared to the cost of identifying a parent of ph[@output-class] and selecting its children.

But as I wanted to say above, in terms of idiomatic XSLT 2+ purity, I'd always prefer a solution that doesn't look along the preceding/following axes, even when it is done just once for selecting the for-each-group population.

Gerrit

On 05.02.2020 23:29, Eliot Kimber ekimber@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
In my XML I can have adjacent elements that should be processed as a unit, where the adjacent elements all have the same value for a given attribute. Other elements with the same attribute could be following siblings but separated by other elements or text nodes, i.e.:

<p>Text <ph outputclass="x">1</ph><ph outputclass="x">2</ph> more text <ph outputclass="x">New sequence</ph></p>

Where the rendered result should combine the first two <ph> elements but not the third, i.e.:

<p>Text <x>12</x> more text <x>New sequence</x></p>

Processing is applied to the first element in the document with the @outputclass value "x" and then I want to grab any immediately following siblings with the same @outputclass value and no intervening text or element nodes.

My solution is to use for-each-group like so:

<xsl:variable name="this" as="element()" select="."/>
     <xsl:variable name="adjacent-sibs" as="element()+">
       <xsl:for-each-group select="($this, $this/following-sibling::node())"
         group-adjacent="string(@outputclass)">
         <xsl:if test=". is $this">
           <xsl:sequence select="current-group()"/>
         </xsl:if>
       </xsl:for-each-group>
     </xsl:variable>

Which works, but I'm thinking there must be a more compact way to do the same selection, but the formulation is escaping me.

Is there a more compact or more efficient way to make this selection of only immediately-adjacent following siblings?

Thanks,

E.
--
Eliot Kimber
http://contrext.com

Current Thread

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3
Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.