[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Bibliography author repetition handling

Subject: Bibliography author repetition handling
From: "Charles Muller acmuller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2017 06:24:41 -0000
 Bibliography author repetition handling
In a TEI <biblStruct> bibliography that uses biblStruct/*/author/surname (etc), I have managed to write the code that checks if the author name in the prior <biblStruct> is the same, in which case the output is ---. rather than the author's name. It works fine, but I'm running into a problem where there the first author name is the same as that of the prior <biblStruct> entry, but there are also multiple authors, in which case the full name should be printed out.

I thought that one way I might resolve this is to test if the number of authors in the prior entry is the same as this one, but I can't get it to work. I also don't know if this is even the best way of handling this. The XML is like this: (present output here: http://www.acmuller.net/articles-shisou.html)

-------------------------------------------
<biblStruct xml:id="Muller2017"><analytic><author><surname>Muller</surname><forename>A. Charles</forename></author><author><surname>Shimoda</surname><forename>Masahiro</forename></author><author><surname>Nagasaki</surname><forename>Kiyonori</forename></author><title level="a"><ref target="articles/2017-10-sat-taisho.pdf">The SAT TaishE

Text Database: A Brief History</ref></title></analytic><monogr><title level="m">Reinventing the Tripitaka: Transformation of the Buddhist Canon in Modern East Asia</title><editor><surname>Wu</surname><forename>Jiang</forename></editor><editor><surname>Wilkinson</surname><forename>Greg</forename></editor><imprint><pubPlace>Lanham, MD</pubPlace><biblScope unit="pp">175b185</biblScope><publisher>Lexington Books</publisher><date>2017</date></imprint></monogr></biblStruct>

<biblStruct><analytic><author><surname>Muller</surname><forename>A. Charles</forename></author><title level="a"><ref target="articles/2017-05-20-new-treatise-review.pdf">Xiong Shili and the New Treatise: A review discussion
of Xiong Shili, <title level="m">New Treatise on the Uniqueness of Consciousness</title>, an annotated translation by John Makeham</ref></title></analytic><monogr><title level="j">Sophia</title><imprint><biblScope unit="vol">Online First</biblScope><date>2017</date><biblScope unit="pp">1b4</biblScope></imprint></monogr></biblStruct>

<biblStruct><analytic><author><surname>Muller</surname><forename>A. Charles</forename></author><title level="a"><ref target="articles/2017-05-01-JKR-04_8.1muller.pdf">The Meaning of the Explicit and Inexplicit Approaches in WEnhyobs <title level="m">System of the Two Hindrances</title> (<title level="m">Ijang E-i</title> d: ig>))</ref></title></analytic><monogr><title level="j">Journal of Korean Religions</title><imprint><biblScope unit="vol">8</biblScope><biblScope unit="issue">1</biblScope><date>2017</date><biblScope unit="pp">63b91</biblScope></imprint></monogr></biblStruct>

-------------------------------------------

and the relevant portion of the present XSLT is like this (new dysfunctional code commented out)

<xsl:template match="author">
<xsl:variable name="prev-autnum" select="count(preceding::biblStruct[1]/*/author)"/>
<xsl:variable name="this-autnum" select="count(*)"/>

<xsl:choose>
<!-- <xsl:when test="$prev-autnum = $this-autnum">
<xsl:choose>-->
<xsl:when
test="preceding::biblStruct[1]/*/editor[1] = . or preceding::biblStruct[1]/*/author[1] = .">
<xsl:choose>
<xsl:when test="preceding::bibl[1]/author = .">
<xsl:text>----.&#160;</xsl:text>
</xsl:when>
<xsl:when test="preceding::bibl[1]/editor = .">
<xsl:when test="preceding::bibl[1]/*/author = .">
<xsl:otherwise>
</xsl:otherwise>
</xsl:choose>
<!--</xsl:choose>
</xsl:when>-->
<xsl:otherwise>

TIA,

Chuck

--------------------------- A. Charles Muller

Graduate School of Humanities and Sociology
Faculty of Letters
University of Tokyo
7-3-1 HongE
, BunkyE
-ku
Tokyo 113-8654, Japan

Office Phone: 03-5841-3735

Web Site: Resources for East Asian Language and Thought
http://www.acmuller.net

Twitter: @H_Buddhism

Current Thread

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3
Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.