[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: Elements that inherit children from other elements

Subject: Re: Elements that inherit children from other elements
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 10:49:41 +0000
Re:  Elements that inherit children from other elements
On 10/12/2010 10:23, Andreas Knote wrote:
Hello,

I am currently developing an XML Schema for a university course catalogue. To ease maintenance, i thought of defining "module"s that inherit some or all child-elements from another "module" (i call those "derivedModule"). Any element that is not present inside of a "derivedModule" should be copied from its
"baseModule" (of type "module", the one referred to by an XS:IDREF, not a new type of element).

Right now, I use XS:ID and XS:IDREF to refer to a "module", and a XSL-Template eventually combines the "derivedModule" with it's "baseModule". It checks every child-element inside of a referred "baseModule" for an occurence of the same element in "derivedModule" and then copies either first or latter (if found).

I am not happy with this solution, as it feels wrong to have part of the structural definition, the relation between a "derivedModule" and a "module" (or it's children) as part of the stylesheet.

Now I am wondering whether it is actually possible to define such relations within an XML Schema, or whether it is against the philosophy behind XML.

XSD can describe constraints (eg using key/keyref, or using assertions in XSD 1.1) but it can't define relationships in the sense of functions that your XSLT code can use for navigation. I often find that it's a good idea to define a function library associated with the vocabulary/schema where the functions are designed to navigate these relationships, hiding their detail from the rest of your code.

Michael Kay
Saxonica

I am thankful for any suggestions,

Andreas

----

Definiton for a "Module":

<xs:complexType name="ModulType"> <!-- Modul -->
<xs:sequence>
<xs:element maxOccurs="1" minOccurs="1" name="Name" type="xs:string"/> <!-- Full name -->
<xs:element maxOccurs="1" minOccurs="1" name="Modulgruppe" type="xs:string"/> <!-- Group for combination -->
<xs:element maxOccurs="1" minOccurs="1" name="Bemerkung" type="FormatierterTextType"/> <!-- Annotation -->
</xs:sequence>
<xs:attribute name="id" type="xs:ID" use="required"/> <!-- ID -->
</xs:complexType>

Definition for a "derivedModule":

<xs:complexType name="AbgeleitetesModulType"> <!-- referring Module-->
<xs:sequence>
<xs:element name="Basismodul" maxOccurs="1" minOccurs="1"> <!-- ID of baseModule to refer to-->
<xs:complexType>
<xs:simpleContent>
<xs:extension base="xs:IDREF">
<xs:attribute name="wahl" type="xs:string"/>
</xs:extension>
</xs:simpleContent>
</xs:complexType>
</xs:element>
<xs:element maxOccurs="1" minOccurs="0" name="Name" type="xs:string"/> <!--optional elements which overwrite those of the baseModule->
<xs:element maxOccurs="1" minOccurs="0" name="Modulgruppe" type="xs:string"/>
<xs:element maxOccurs="1" minOccurs="0" name="Bemerkung" type="FormatierterTextType"/>
</xs:sequence>
<xs:attribute name="id" type="xs:ID" use="required"/> <!-- new ID -->

XSL-Template to combine those two for further processing:

<xsl:template match="m:abgeleitetesModul">
<xsl:attribute name="id"><xsl:value-of select="./@id" /></xsl:attribute>
<xsl:variable name="basisID" select="m:Basismodul/text()" />
<xsl:variable name="abgModul" select="." />
<xsl:for-each select="//m:Modulhandbuch/m:Studiengang/m:Modul[@id=$basisID]/*"> <!-- Look for elements in baseModul, then check for occurences in derivedModule-->
<xsl:variable name="name" select="./local-name()" />
<xsl:choose>
<xsl:when test="$abgModul/*[name() = $name]">
<xsl:apply-templates select="$abgModul/*[local-name() = $name]" mode="Inhalte" /> <!-- copy element from derivedModule -->
</xsl:when>
<xsl:otherwise>
<xsl:apply-templates select="." mode="Inhalte" /> <!-- else copy element from baseModule -->
</xsl:otherwise>
</xsl:choose>
</xsl:for-each>
</xsl:template>

Current Thread

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3
Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.