[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: current-dateTime()

Subject: Re: current-dateTime()
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 18:29:48 +0200
Re:  current-dateTime()
Michael Ludwig wrote:
Abel Braaksma schrieb:
Michael Ludwig wrote:
That would probably not work. I tested this the other day, just out
of curiosity, calling a script that incremented a number, and found
that the result was cached when using LibXSLT, Saxon and Xalan.

you forgot to add the generate-id + a newly created node to add to the URI. However, the processors you mention use XSLT 1.0. To get the same behavior in XSLT 1.0 you need to be a little bit more creative and use the extension function exslt:node-set (or equivalent for your processor).

I felt creative enough calling an external script, so I forgot to be more creative :-) Now, following your example: This works for Saxon (both 6.5.5 and 9.0.0.4) and for Xalan-J 2.7.1, but not for Xalan-C 1.10.0 and LibXSLT 1.1.22. The latter do not seem to generate new nodes, so no new IDs are generated either.

Interesting... :)

What you might try is using a "real" node (I mean, an element). Any node is "real" of course, but perhaps Xalan-C (I'm surprised it doesn't show the same behavior as Xalan-J) and LibXslt are more inclined to do the effort to create a new node when the node itself is an element.

One might argue that this is a non-conformance bug, but I vaguely remember having had a discussion along these lines with Michael Kay. The net result of that discussion being that node-set is an extension function and once an extension function (or instruction) is in place, all bets are off considering conformant behavior.

That said, if you state "node-set creates a node or a set of nodes" and "generate-id generates a unique id for each node" would mean, imho, that the mentioned behavior is indeed a bug (though perhaps not strictly non-conforming).

Btw1, what about *not* using node-set? Would generate-id work on the $node variable? Would it work in the same way?
Btw2, does any of these processors have an extension instruction, like Saxon, to create a node from a string representation of XML? if so, would that yield the same erroneous results?

Cheers,
-- Abel Braaksma

Current Thread

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3
Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.