[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: Converting a string to Uppercase or Lowercase wi

Subject: Re: Converting a string to Uppercase or Lowercase without using translate() ?
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 19:44:44 -0600
Re:  Converting a string to Uppercase or Lowercase   wi
>Maybe we should have a go at obfuscating XSLT through over
zealous use of entities... like turning the identity template into the
&ident;
>entity ref:

I had a bug report the other day that was full of things like

<xsl:template match="&xyz-pattern;">
 <xsl:for-each select="&abc-expression;">

and when you looked at the DTD, the entities were all built up by expansion
of parameter entities N deep. I've never seen anything so hard to follow in
all my life.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/

The sad thing is that someone somewhere thinks that's a good idea. As with any programming language, the folks developing solutions in XSLT should consider the sanity of the poor maintenance programmer who has to fix or extend the code next year. Even if someone will do the maintenance themselves, it pays (literally, in saved time) to make code one can follow and understand without huge amounts of effort.

I remember learning C in the mid-80s, realizing that I could write a program in one line, and then realizing that it was a BAD idea. I like my code, in whatever language, to be UN-obfuscated. I've been following the last few posts in this thread and just shaking my head. Fortunately, I know Andrew and Wendell were just kidding.

Jay Bryant
Bryant Communication Services
http://www.bryantcs.com/

Current Thread

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3
Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.