[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: Optimizing XSLT iteration

Subject: Re: Optimizing XSLT iteration
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2007 03:07:25 +0200
Re:  Optimizing XSLT iteration
Michael Kay wrote:
I just tried Saxon parser after increasing the initial/max Java heap space to 512M and it worked with even a 74MB file, but took about 28 minutes to finish.

That does seem quite high, given that Saxon can do an identity transform on a file of that size in something close to 28 seconds. I wonder if there is some other problem in your code (are there parts you haven't shown us?). Is the performance linear with document size?

Just read your post Michael, and I was curious whether I could back this up. Taking the source as provided by Sujata, multiplying the <locus> elements and then multiplying the <trace> elements I had the following results:

800 kilobytes: approx. 1 second
16 megabytes: approx 6 seconds
90 megabytes: approx 33 seconds

I did not do real measuring, and my computer is at the same time running some long-term algorithm (takes days), so these approximations should in real life be considerably faster. I took the nested xsl:for-each loops as they were, without any optimizations at all.

So the new question is now: what is in the code that hasn't been shown?

Cheers,
-- Abel Braaksma

Current Thread

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3
Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.