[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: Calculating cumulative values - Abel's solution

Subject: Re: Calculating cumulative values - Abel's solution
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 18:03:30 -0400
Re:  Calculating cumulative values - Abel's solution
Abel,

Thanks for the very nicely composed explanation for Simon. One of the best things about this list is how explanations are provided that can be followed by people who don't themselves have any need for a particular solution, but who can still learn valuable lessons and techniques from the sidelines. It's one of the best ways of learning.

I would, however, quarrel with one aspect of your description. You have the code:

<xsl:template match="/">
<!-- mini pipeline: put points into a variable and process them -->
<xsl:variable name="points">
<xsl:apply-templates select="root/set[1]/point[1]" mode="aggregate">
<xsl:with-param name="calc" tunnel="yes">
<for x="1" y2="2" y3="2"/>
</xsl:with-param>
</xsl:apply-templates>
</xsl:variable>

<!-- apply set with pre-processed points -->
        <xsl:apply-templates select="root/set">
            <xsl:with-param name="points" select="$points" />
        </xsl:apply-templates>
    </xsl:template>

... which you refer to as using a "micro-pipeline".

As I explained earlier this week, I don't believe this is a micro-pipeline, since it operates globally. The declaration of $points could appear outside the template and it would perform the same way. A micro-pipeline would be if you bound a variable in a template you expected to fire more than once, and then processed the results of that variable. Admittedly there may be a grey zone between a pipeline operating at the document (global) level, and one that operates at a more local level; but I believe this falls fairly clearly into the first category.

(Then too, as you also explain, you don't really run a pipeline here at all, but use the results of pre-processing as a lookup table.)

The reason I stress this is because I'm afraid that if we start calling anything a micro-pipeline just because it involves some matching and applying of templates whose results won't appear in the output, then we'll have to invent a new word for what we actually invented the term for.

The more general technique, I'd say, is called "pipelining", or -- if the results are themselves not processed directly (this includes generating lookup tables) "pre-processing". Another interesting thing to reflect on is that pipelining and pre-processing can be achieved in XSLT 1.0 by passing the results of one stylesheet into another as its source. This really isn't practical with micro-pipelining, which happens only within the scope of a single branch of the tree at a time.

I apologize if this comes across as rude. Another valuable thing we do on this list is guard one another's terminology. ("Don't call them tags", etc.) This keeps the language strong because we have unambiguous terms to refer to things, methods and techniques, which can then be discussed and learned about.

Cheers,
Wendell

======================================================================
Wendell Piez                            mailto:wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mulberry Technologies, Inc.                http://www.mulberrytech.com
17 West Jefferson Street                    Direct Phone: 301/315-9635
Suite 207                                          Phone: 301/315-9631
Rockville, MD  20850                                 Fax: 301/315-8285
----------------------------------------------------------------------
  Mulberry Technologies: A Consultancy Specializing in SGML and XML
======================================================================

Current Thread

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3
Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.