[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: Trying to find following sibling that ends in pun

Subject: Re: Trying to find following sibling that ends in punctuation
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2006 08:54:23 -0800
xslt find following node
Michael here is the function but it has worked perfectly(or as perfectly as can be) in other instances.

<xsl:function name="f:f_StringEndsWith" as="xs:string">

<!-- p_String to test -->
       <xsl:param name="p_String" />

<!-- get the last character -->
<xsl:variable name="l_LastCharacter" select="substring($p_String, string-length($p_String), 1)" />

<!-- get the last two characters -->
<xsl:variable name="l_LastTwoCharacter" select="substring($p_String, string-length($p_String) - 1, 2)" />

<!-- . : ! ? -->
<xsl:variable name="l_LastCharacterIs" select="if (matches($l_LastCharacter, '[&#46;]|[&#58;]|[&#33;]|[&#63;]')) then 'punct' else 'noPunct'" />

<!-- ." !" ?" .) !) ?) -->
<!--xsl:variable name="l_LastTwoCharacterAre" select="if (matches($l_LastTwoCharacter, '[&#46;&#34;]|[&#33;&#34;]|[&#63;&#34;]|[&#46;&#41;]|[&#33;&#41;]|[&#63;&#41;]')) then 'punct' else 'noPunct'" /-->

<!-- the above failed in a couple of instances and so the var and choose below works. it is in longhand for ease of maintaining -->
<!-- ." !" ?" .) !) ?) -->
<xsl:variable name="l_LastTwoCharacterAre">
<xsl:choose>
<xsl:when test="$l_LastTwoCharacter = '&#46;&#34;'"><xsl:value-of select="'punct'" /></xsl:when>
<xsl:when test="$l_LastTwoCharacter = '&#33;&#34;'"><xsl:value-of select="'punct'" /></xsl:when>
<xsl:when test="$l_LastTwoCharacter = '&#63;&#34;'"><xsl:value-of select="'punct'" /></xsl:when>
<xsl:when test="$l_LastTwoCharacter = '&#46;&#41;'"><xsl:value-of select="'punct'" /></xsl:when>
<xsl:when test="$l_LastTwoCharacter = '&#33;&#41;'"><xsl:value-of select="'punct'" /></xsl:when>
<xsl:when test="$l_LastTwoCharacter = '&#63;&#41;'"><xsl:value-of select="'punct'" /></xsl:when>
<xsl:otherwise><xsl:value-of select="'noPunct'" /></xsl:otherwise>
</xsl:choose>
</xsl:variable>

<xsl:when test="($l_LastCharacterIs = 'punct') or ($l_LastTwoCharacterAre = 'punct')"><xsl:value-of select="'punct'" /></xsl:when>
<xsl:otherwise><xsl:value-of select="'noPunct'" /></xsl:otherwise>

</xsl:function>

I'll add a test for an empty string and will test if any data is present.

Thanks

Mario

Michael Kay wrote:
You haven't shown the function

f:f_StringEndsWith($p_Node)

You would get infinite recursion if this function always returns the value
"noPunct" when its argument is an empty sequence.

Just a theory.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/

-----Original Message-----
From: Marijan (Mario) Madunic [mailto:hajduk@xxxxxxxx] Sent: 04 November 2006 00:44
To: xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Trying to find following sibling that ends in punctuation

Using XSLT 2, XPath 2, and Saxon8

I'm trying to get the count(of preceding::*) of a following sibling node that ends with some sort of punctuation, and throw this value into a variable.

I've created a recurisive template

<xsl:template name="ct_PositionOfNodeThatEndsWithPunct">

<!-- set a default value for p_Node -->
<xsl:param name="p_Node" select="following-sibling::*[self::P][1]" />

<!-- test what the element ends with --> <xsl:variable name="l_EndsWith" select="f:f_StringEndsWith($p_Node)" />

<xsl:when test="$l_EndsWith = 'noPunct'">
<xsl:call-template
name="ct_PositionOfNodeThatEndsWithPunct">
<xsl:with-param name="p_Node" select="following-sibling::*[self::P][1]" />
</xsl:call-template>
</xsl:when>
<xsl:otherwise><xsl:value-of select="count(preceding::*) + 1" /></xsl:otherwise>

</xsl:template>

Now I was hoping that because called templates are context sensitive I can keep on just doing "select="following-sibling::*[self::P][1]" as I've done to give p_Node a new value to iterate through. I keep on getting out of memory error. Memory is not an issue as from my past experiences when I get this error when I introduce a recursive template usually means I've given the recursion no way out. But I can't see why this is happening.

Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mario

Current Thread

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3
Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.