[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Where did my tabs go? Trying to understand xsl:value-o

Subject: Where did my tabs go? Trying to understand xsl:value-of, tabs and the separator attribute
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 20:11:18 +0200
tab character xsl
Hi List!

I do a lot of XML-2-TEXT processing, of which some are tab-delimited based. I have some troubles understanding what <xsl:value-of /> (and other constructs) do with tab characters, when you explicitly do not want them to be normalized to spaces. Here's what I trialled and errorred:

Two entities:
<!ENTITY tab "&#x09;" >
<!ENTITY separator "&#xE0F1;" >

A character map:
   <xsl:character-map name="separator">
       <xsl:output-character character="&separator;" string="&tab;"/>
   </xsl:character-map>

An applied output method:
<xsl:output method="text" indent="no" use-character-maps="separator" />

A variable:
<xsl:variable name="tabchar" select="'&#x09;'" />

With the following statements gives:
(a tab)   <xsl:value-of select="$tabchar" />
(a tab)   <xsl:value-of select="'&#x09;'" />
(no tab)  <xsl:value-of select="'&tab;'" />
(no tab)  <xsl:value-of select="'&separator;'" />

(tabs)    <xsl:value-of select="somenode" separator="{$tabchar}" />
(tabs)    <xsl:value-of select="somenode" separator="&#x09;" />
(no tabs) <xsl:value-of select="somenode" separator="{&tab;}" />
(no tabs) <xsl:value-of select="somenode" separator="{&separator;}" />

Basically the same story applies to other instructions, like copy-of, <xsl:text> etc. I was under the impression that it didn't matter whether you had a numerical entity reference of something, or a named entity reference. If I replace the tab mapping for something different, say " ", the spaces are kept. Or for "|||", the string will be kept.

Though I can resolve this by using a global variable, or intersperse my code everywhere with xsl:text, things go worse when using functions etc returning strings with tabs. Mostly, they are lost somewhere along the process. So my hope was on using a character map, so that I can freely substitute the separator in the end with a tab character. It works for everything, including a bunch of spaces, but not for tab characters

With newlines, btw, it is even a bit different: it works when putting the numerical character reference into the character map (the eqv. does not work for tabs), it does not work if I put the named entity inside the character map.

I am sure I missed a theory lesson somewhere. And I am not so sure anymore if this has a nice solution. If someone can enlighten me, I would be most thankful. I have been working around this issue with odd solutions for weeks now.

Cheers
-- Abel Braaksma
  http://www.nuntia.com

NB: I have tried the character map literal string with a literal tab, a numerical char reference and a named char reference, all the same results.

Current Thread

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3
Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.