[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

RE: Problem with ampersands

Subject: RE: Problem with ampersands
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 08:26:53 +0100
xslt ampersands
Jeff

I understand the unreasonableness of many requirements but I don't understand what's happening here. Surely if you transform an XML document to another XML document then any ampersands in the output will still be escaped on serialisation?

Joe

Reply-To: xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: Xsl-List <xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject:  Problem with ampersands
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 10:03:30 +0800

Hi,

I have this requirement from a client to retain all the entity references in their xml files after transformation so what i did was collect all the entities in the DTD and then created a character-map for single-character entities. For multi-character ones, i created a used a function to search and replace all occurrences in a text node. My problem is when i use the function and return the value, xslt escapes the ampersand symbol as &amp; and i don't know how i can unescape it without unescaping the real ampersand character.

Below is a snippet of my stylesheet and the output that i'm getting.

XSL:

<xsl:stylesheet version="2.0" xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform" xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:f="f;data">
<xsl:character-map name="brillMaps">
<!-- character mapping for single-character entities-->
</xsl:character-map>
<!--variable that holds the values of the multi-character entities-->
<xsl:variable name="entityTable" as="element()+">
<entity>
<search>c&#818;h&#818;k&#818;</search>
<replace>&chkeiubareiubareiubar;</replace>
</entity>
<!-- other multi-character entities--> </xsl:variable>
<xsl:function name="f:replace-all">
<xsl:param name="input" as="xs:string"/>
<xsl:param name="words-to-replace" as="xs:string*"/>
<xsl:param name="replacement" as="xs:string*"/>
<xsl:sequence select="if (exists($words-to-replace)) then f:replace-all(replace($input, $words-to-replace[1], $replacement[1]),remove($words-to-replace,1),remove($replacement,1)) else $input"/>
</xsl:function>
<xsl:output method="xml" encoding="UTF-8" use-character-maps="brillMaps"/>
<xsl:template match="/">
<xsl:variable name="str" select="'&amp; test test the quick brown fox textc&#818;h&#818;k&#818;text test test the quick brown fox'"/>
<xsl:variable name="searchStr" as="xs:string*" select="$entityTable/search[matches($str,.)]"/>
<test>
<xsl:value-of select="f:replace-all($str,$entityTable/search[matches($str,.)],$entityTable/search[matches($str,.)]/following-sibling::replace)"/>
<xsl:value-of select="$entityTable[1]/replace" disable-output-escaping="yes"/>
</test>
</xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

java net.sf.saxon.Transform CharMap.xsl CharMap.xsl > out.xml

out.xml --

<test>&amp; test test the quick brown fox text&amp;chkeiubareiubareiubar;text test test the quick brown fox&chkeiubareiubareiubar;</test>
--
*Jeff*

Current Thread

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3
Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.