[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: XPath proximity position in predicates

Subject: Re: XPath proximity position in predicates
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 12:40:09 +0200
david landwehr
Hi Michael

I have no practical use case.

I have an XPath (1.0) implementation as part of my open source XForms project and I'm doing some optimizations on it at the moment. I was looking at when I could simply skip evaluating a path expr containing a predicate. In the static analyze I got a result where the predicate didn't evaluate to a integer and therefore failed to locate a node. Since the predicate contained a static expression (e.g. just some calculations that should be folded during compilation of the expression) I was a little surprised. Now the good thing about this is that I can optimize this the other way around and say that I don't have to evaluate the path expr if a predicate contains a number which isn't an integer.

Best regards,
David

Michael Kay wrote:
Reading XPath 1.0 it states that a predicate evaluating to a number will return true if equal to the proximity position of the current node. I was wondering if there is a reason the evaluated number isn't rounded by the XPath engine?

My guess on this is that no-one thought about this case before the 1.0 spec was published - remember that it didn't have anything like the extended review period that the current specs are going through. However, I think it rarely causes a problem in practice. Anyone computing the position using something other than simple addition or subtraction, for example to implement a binary-chop search, should really be thinking about the rounding strategy to use rather than relying on any default rounding algorithm; and simple addition and subtraction using small integer values doesn't lead to rounding errors.

If there's a practical use case where problems arise, I'd be interested to
hear of it.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/

Current Thread

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3
Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.