[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: Lightweight XSLT based web framework

Subject: Re: Lightweight XSLT based web framework
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 11:56:27 -0700
xslt based cms
Hello,
I have been looking for a substitute for Cocoon as well, as I became quite fond of generating xml based web pages through the sitemap in Cocoon.
For something capable and and smaller in size, you might want to check out Alex Milowski's smallx pipelining project.

See:
https://smallx.dev.java.net/

From the overview on the project home page:

"Smallx is a library and set of tools that is being developed to process XML infosets. It has two distinct features in that the infoset implementation allows streaming of documents and that processing of infosets can be accomplished using a concept called pipelines. The library contains a full compliment of technologies--include XPath and XSLT.

Pipelines provide the ability to chain together different components that perform different tasks to process a XML document. Some of these tasks might be decision points in the processing while other might transform the input (e.g. XSLT). All components in the pipeline have the ability to stream the infoset it they so choose.

The key difference of this code over others is that it allows streaming of infosets to be mixed in with non-streamed document-based processing. This allows large data sets to be processed in a minimal amount of memory while allowing traditional technologies like XSLT to still be used."

Regards,

Carol

Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 10:07:44 +0300
To: xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re:  Lightweight XSLT based web framework
Message-ID: <430EBFC0.5070302@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Peter Gerstbach wrote:

I know (and like) cocoon very much, but I need a more simple and
smaller system. All I want to have is the possibility to transform XML
with XSLT, caching of the results and maybe a system that generates
the site-navigation.

That is not a simple system ;-)

An integrated CMS would be nice but is not very important.

Apache Lenya, a CMS on top of Cocoon is exactly what you describe. It will take you half an hour to install on a servlet container and go through the tutorial. I'd reccomend giving a shot in 1.2.x (1.4 is unstable and may give you wrong impressions).

hth,

Manos

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 11:23:52 +0200
Message-ID: <20050826092352.GA1984@xxxxxxxxxx>

On Fri, Aug 26, 2005 at 10:07:44AM +0300, Emmanouil Batsis wrote:

Peter Gerstbach wrote:

Apache Lenya, a CMS on top of Cocoon is exactly what you describe.

Another, not so lightweight but not terribly difficult to use either, choice might be Silva. It's written in Python.

http://www.infrae.com/products/silva

Piotr

-- Piotr Kopszak, Ph.D. Polish Art Gallery, National Museum in Warsaw -----------------------------> http://kopszak.mnw.art.pl/ http://www.magnatune.com/artists/altri_stromenti ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 13:45:32 +0200 To: xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx From: Peter Gerstbach <peter.gerstbach@xxxxxxxxx> Subject: Re: Lightweight XSLT based web framework Message-ID: <793f16e80508260445f1b1e36@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 2005/8/26, Emmanouil Batsis <Emmanouil.Batsis@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

Peter Gerstbach wrote:
=20

>I know (and like) cocoon very much, but I need a more simple and
>smaller system. All I want to have is the possibility to transform XML
>with XSLT, caching of the results and maybe a system that generates
>the site-navigation.

=20
That is not a simple system ;-)

Well, I think it is. You just have to parse the URI, find the corresponding XML, and invoke a transformation. The result must be cached somewhere (ok, this caching can be very complex). For the navigation another transformation is needed, inserting some links that are read from another central XML file.

That's it! I think it should be possible to write such a system within
a day. But why to reinvent the wheel?

=20

>An integrated CMS would be nice but is not very important.
>
>

=20
Apache Lenya, a CMS on top of Cocoon is exactly what you describe. It
will take you half an hour to install on a servlet container and go
through the tutorial. I'd reccomend giving a shot in 1.2.x (1.4 is
unstable and may give you wrong impressions).

Yes, of course, Cocoon and Lenya are great. Cocoon provides much more than I need. I'm sure that my requirements can be meet with a simpler system (described above) that does not need a 30MB installation (Lenya).

Peter

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 15:13:34 +0200
Message-ID: <20050826131334.GA6746@xxxxxxxxxx>

On Fri, Aug 26, 2005 at 01:45:32PM +0200, Peter Gerstbach wrote:

2005/8/26, Emmanouil Batsis <Emmanouil.Batsis@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Peter Gerstbach wrote:
>

> >I know (and like) cocoon very much, but I need a more simple and
> >smaller system. All I want to have is the possibility to transform XML
> >with XSLT, caching of the results and maybe a system that generates
> >the site-navigation.

> > That is not a simple system ;-)

Well, I think it is. You just have to parse the URI, find the corresponding XML, and invoke a transformation. The result must be cached somewhere (ok, this caching can be very complex). For the navigation another transformation is needed, inserting some links that are read from another central XML file.

I was generating my website using xsltproc for last couple of years
from a Website DocBook xml files and it is easy, indeed. You can write
a script which would upload resulting html to a server in a minute. No
need for any special programs.

Piotr

-- Piotr Kopszak, Ph.D. Polish Art Gallery, National Museum in Warsaw -----------------------------> http://kopszak.mnw.art.pl/ http://www.magnatune.com/artists/altri_stromenti

Current Thread

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3
Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.